Holmfirth and Yorkshire Picture #48

I know people are downcast with the current issues the country is suffering but when we want a bit of cheer the "display" , if that's it, offers little comfort to the people of Holmfirth, at best its mediocrity in the extreme .

It would look nice even after dark if Virtual Huddersfield would turn of the infrared function on the camera to get rid of the huge blob of glare that obscures the upper left section of the image. It's been there this time since Beatties reopened after lockdown.

It would look nice even after dark if Virtual Huddersfield would turn of the infrared function on the camera to get rid of the huge blob of glare that obscures the upper left section of the image. It's been there this time since Beatties reopened after lockdown.
Yes, I caught it at twilight before the blob showed up. Later in the evening it is useless to try and view. It was better previously to be sure.

I am in no way criticising anyone who volunteered their time to put the decorations up, but I would be critical of the local council , which I have been before , because of their singular lack of interest in promoting the show that brought them all the tourists . Yes finance is tight and all areas have to pull in their belts but when you see individual houses pushing the boat out to bring a bit of cheer to their neighbourhood ,and particularly children who have had it tough this year , with vibrant , colourful displays this to me falls sadly short . It doesn't have to be much you don't have to cover the whole town but there are key areas such as the Cafe square where you could push the boat out . I assume the volunteers are not providing the lights and if it is the Council then if that's how much they value this pearl of Yorkshire heritage and tourist haven its a really sad indictment.

Last edited:
Here is a better view, this year Volunteers put the lights up, so top marks for all their efforts
View attachment 3543
Sean thoroughly enjoys night photography with the "star" effect created by lights. His daytime landscape photography is just as good, but I suspect that he makes most of his living from his sports photos. He has his own web site, but I see his photos on the Holmfirth Community Facebook page. It took some heavy-duty convincing to get them to accept me as a member, since I don't live there and the odds are against my ever making that international house move.

I am in no way criticising anyone who volunteered their time to put the decorations up, but I would be critical of the local council , which I have been before , because of their singular lack of interest in promoting the show that brought them all the tourists . Yes finance is tight and all areas have to pull in their belts but when you see individual houses pushing the boat out to bring a bit of cheer to their neighbourhood ,and particularly children who have had it tough this year , with vibrant , colourful displays this to me falls sadly short . It doesn't have to be much you don't have to cover the whole town but there are key areas such as the Cafe square where you could push the boat out . I assume the volunteers are not providing the lights and if it is the Council then if that's how much they value this pearl of Yorkshire heritage and tourist haven its a really sad indictment.
Based on residents' comments and rants on the Holmfirth Community Facebook page, the local council leaves much to be desired.

Back