Hello, I'm Jack the dog

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Hello, I'm Jack the dog. I'm not a member but my daddy, Peripheral, is. I thought that I would sneak in and say hello while he is laid back, eyes closed, making sounds like logs being sawn in half. I am a rescue dog, Jack Russel Terrier, and have got my new parents fully trained to my way of life. AAH, he is making snorting noises now and I think he is about to wake up. I wonder, do any of you have pets that might like to have a chat with me. Must go.
Best wishes to all. Jack.

Attachments

• Jack chat 2.jpg
    Jack chat 2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 10
Well Hello Jack,

As a salty old Sea Dog and Pirate " I has a Parrot" but the bad language that he utters isn't really appropriate for your ears . When Daddy is snorting and snoring does his long hair blow up in the air?

Hello Sir Captain, yeah, his hair does blow upwards. One day while he was making out with the snorts, mummy dipped his hair in whitewash and he painted the ceiling while he was asleep. :01::37:.... Jack.

Hey Rick, Jack here, according to your file you are from Nowhere particular. If you live there then it is Somewhere particular. Go on, you can tell me, where do you live?

Attachments

• Jack close up.jpg
    Jack close up.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 7
Your name is Jack!
Do you live in the back
of the Greta Garbo home for Wayward Boys and Girls???? .................... or are you still in Rotherham with Peri and his better half ? :08::08:

Hi Jack, 'Nowhere Particular' is a reference to the episode where Howard gets a van. Has Wesley fix it up and make it cozy inside. On a test drive with Wesley, Howard and Compo out of coincidence they happen to come across Marina by the roadside. Going up a steep hill the chair that Marina and Compo are in slides out the back door and rolls down the hill. Giving them quite the ride. After the chair comes to a stop Clegg and Truly ask Compo where he has been. Compo grins, gives Marina a squeeze and replies 'nowhere particular'.

Not sure why but I am fond of that scene. To more directly answer your question - the State of North Carolina on the east coast of the U.S. Not too far from the city of New Bern. It is nice here and I do like it but I am tempted to move further away from hurricane landing impact zones. Thinking of the mountains may be nice, or near a big lake again.

Hi Jack, 'Nowhere Particular' is a reference to the episode where Howard gets a van. Has Wesley fix it up and make it cozy inside. On a test drive with Wesley, Howard and Compo out of coincidence they happen to come across Marina by the roadside. Going up a steep hill the chair that Marina and Compo are in slides out the back door and rolls down the hill. Giving them quite the ride. After the chair comes to a stop Clegg and Truly ask Compo where he has been. Compo grins, gives Marina a squeeze and replies 'nowhere particular'.

Not sure why but I am fond of that scene. To more directly answer your question - the State of North Carolina on the east coast of the U.S. Not too far from the city of New Bern. It is nice here and I do like it but I am tempted to move further away from hurricane landing impact zones. Thinking of the mountains may be nice, or near a big lake again.
North Carolina. Mmm, my wife comes from Minnesota. She likes it better here than there. Well, I am here.:08::21:

Never been to Minnesota. From what little I have seen it is pretty farm country up there. I've enjoyed a few good episodes of a youtube millennial farmer from there. A quick glance at a map it appears 'state to state' to be about 1300 miles to the NW of me at about a 45 degree angle. Glad your wife likes it there were you are. Pretty country where you are too. Hoping next year I can stop in to say Hi. Definitely booking my reservations earlier.

I am curious about a few things but do not wish to come across as being nosy. Was your wife a fan of LotSW before she went to England? Is she a fan of the show since living there? Also how you both met since there is quite a distance between Minnesota and Yorkshire? More asking on the off chance I may be able to find a lovely UK lady to settle down with. I'm no 'spring chicken' but ever hopeful :21:. If you rather not respond I respect that. Or if you prefer to message me instead of in the thread here to respect your privacy.

To more directly answer your question - the State of North Carolina on the east coast of the U.S. Not too far from the city of New Bern. It is nice here and I do like it but I am tempted to move further away from hurricane landing impact zones. Thinking of the mountains may be nice, or near a big lake again.
How much is the rise in the ocean level affecting your area? Reminds me of Glenda quoting Barry having asked her if she realized how badly the sea was eroding the coast around Mablethorpe. That erosion is quite terrible now!

I just looked at the map to see if you were anywhere near one of my many, many first cousins once removed, who lives in Statesville. At 261 miles, you're not close neighbors. She grew up in Hedegesville, NY, just around the corner from her great-great-grandparents' (my great-grands') farm. Married a fellow from quite nearby. Don't know why they moved to NC.

@Marianna
I've been on 'the coast' here less than a few years. Was more inland in most of my time here in NC (Raleigh / Durham area) . Statesville looks to be north of Charlotte about the middle of the state. I have not been in that area yet. The Neuse River is closer to me than the ocean coastline. I do not know enough about the ocean levels and shoreline around here to comment on changes.

The river does seem to be affected some by the tides. The last hurricane did raise the water enough to flow over the (short) bank walls and into downtown New Bern. A side river off the Neuse comes near me and thankfully no flooding damage were I am. The high winds did topple over a tree which took off the corner of a neighbors house - scary.

That is great you have so much of your family history. My Dad was big into that and researched a lot of ours. Plan to read through what he complied. Did they have a farm in NC too? Good place to grow tobacco and such down here in those times.

Never been to Minnesota. From what little I have seen it is pretty farm country up there. I've enjoyed a few good episodes of a youtube millennial farmer from there. A quick glance at a map it appears 'state to state' to be about 1300 miles to the NW of me at about a 45 degree angle. Glad your wife likes it there were you are. Pretty country where you are too. Hoping next year I can stop in to say Hi. Definitely booking my reservations earlier.

I am curious about a few things but do not wish to come across as being nosy. Was your wife a fan of LotSW before she went to England? Is she a fan of the show since living there? Also how you both met since there is quite a distance between Minnesota and Yorkshire? More asking on the off chance I may be able to find a lovely UK lady to settle down with. I'm no 'spring chicken' but ever hopeful :21:. If you rather not respond I respect that. Or if you prefer to message me instead of in the thread here to respect your privacy.
Hi Rick, I don't mind you asking questions. My wife, Victoria, knew about LOTSW before she came here. We met on the Internet, I told her about the programme and she started watching it. She came over here in 2000, on her first visit and we were married on St. Valentines day in 2003 just after her second visit. We were married in Rotherham Registry Office. She fell in love with England on her first visit and 'I think', me.:28: Somewhere I have a photo of her putting some flowers on Compo's grave. I will find it out and post it. The years, not marriage, have taken their toll on our bodies and we are both somewhat very disabled. We never get out now but I bought a mobility cart for Victoria and she is able to take Jack for walks.

@Marianna
Did they have a farm in NC too? Good place to grow tobacco and such down here in those times.
Neither my first cousin once removed, currently only in her 60s, who relocated to NC, nor her first husband, who moved there with her, came from farming families. Her father, my first cousin, worked in a foundry in Painted Post, NY, and her mother operated an upholstery business from home while rearing their six children. His parents owned and operated a large grocery store in Cameron, NY. She worked in a factory in NC that made parts for the auto industry. but I don't know whether or not that was the job that attracted them there.

I'm no 'spring chicken' but ever hopeful :21:.
Don't underrate yourself! You're a lot springier than I am, both chronologically and, based on some activities you've described elsewhere, physiologically. I can't do anything about the former, but still working on the latter.

I, too, would much rather live in Great Britain, specifically in Holmfirth, than in the States, but not at the price of marrying anyone. I value my solitude far too much for that. I could easily afford the cost of living in the rural or small-town areas north of the Birmingham, and the cost of living in Holmfirth is relatively low as long as I'm happy to rent rather than owning a house. I've spent some time in Nuneaton, where one branch of my family came from in 1637, but wouldn't want to live there despite having some friends in town because the area is nearly dead flat, as well as economically and culturally dead. I've always lived at the northern edge of the foothills of the Allegheny Mountain range and just south of the Finger Lakes, also very hilly. Flat terrain is terribly boring!

Marianna when you mentioned upholstery business I thought of High Point, NC which was big in the furniture business and not too far from Statesville. Then I read further and saw the auto factory job. Would be interesting to know what made them decide on here. NC is pretty country and not quite as chilly as NY in the winter. More power to her mom for doing upholstery at home and keeping up with six kids! :)

Thanks Peri for sharing. That is a great story on how you two got together. I was thinking maybe one or both of you worked for an international company and met that way. I am glad she is a fan of the show as well. Have you traveled to Minnesota to see what the area looks like where Victoria came from?

Added
I'm a hopeless romantic and would prefer to marry out of love. Did not mean to imply doing it for citizenship. I don't mind where she comes from just as long as we love each other :28:. If she is fabulously wealthy then I will just have to live with that. Sorry, had to add that last joke for levity.

Last edited:
Marianna when you mentioned upholstery business I thought of High Point, NC which was big in the furniture business and not too far from Statesville. Then I read further and saw the auto factory job. Would be interesting to know what made them decide on here. NC is pretty country and not quite as chilly as NY in the winter. More power to her mom for doing upholstery at home and keeping up with six kids! :)

Thanks Peri for sharing. That is a great story on how you two got together. I was thinking maybe one or both of you worked for an international company and met that way. I am glad she is a fan of the show as well. Have you traveled to Minnesota to see what the area looks like where Victoria came from?

Added
I'm a hopeless romantic and would prefer to marry out of love. Did not mean to imply doing it for citizenship. I don't mind where she comes from just as long as we love each other :28:. If she is fabulously wealthy then I will just have to live with that. Sorry, had to add that last joke for levity.
Hi Rick, I have never left the UK and neither of us is rich. We met through a chat room. I guess it must be'
"What is this thing, called love?":01:. See, I can't sing either. I've found the photograph. I will post it later. Time to get Joey out for his afternoon session in the conservatory.

More power to her mom for doing upholstery at home and keeping up with six kids! :)
Both her parents and her aunt and uncle who had seven children have said that after three children, it's all about crowd control. In the case of both families, there were six children each a year or less apart, in the case of the second family, six girls then a break of several years before the seventh, a boy, was born. My cousin who was the father of the second family was a career Navy man, so there were times when he was away from home for months at a stretch. Fortunately, his wife has family in the area who helped out.

My honorary niece and her husband have two children who were about six and twelve at the time when they fostered his two nephews and a two nieces for a couple of years. They independently voiced the crowd control concept when they were responsible for six children even though their elder daughter was mature enough to help out a lot.

Last edited:
Many years ago, wife Nancy and I moved from upstate NY to
Charlotte NC (IBM job) then to here in Durham NC where we have been
for what seems like ever. Both retired and we have a black and
white boarder collie Dixie and a cat maggie. (Dixie gets several series of longish
walks each day.) Oh yes, we have three kids (and grandchildren)
to keep us busy.

Coming from a so called 'nuclear family' of four (mom, dad, son, daughter, plus a dog and cat) it is hard to imagine having so many brothers and sisters of a larger family. I bet holiday gatherings were great. I enjoyed it when I was younger and all the cousins were able to come together for Thanksgivings and such. That was before we got older and all began moving away to start their own lives.

Thought about ya the other day Chuck when I went to Raleigh for a visit. Did not have time to touch base with you to see if you would be around Durham. Planning a trip to Asheville sometime within the next month or so. Maybe I can swing by and say Hi or wave at ya as I drive past.

Back