HEALTH AND SAFETY ?

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
There are a group of men cutting down an overgrown hedge opposite me. All well and good but...…...They are shredding the "clippings" and creating quite a racket.They all have ear defenders but are not using them properly. The guy with the chainsaw has only one ear covered. The man on the shredder has both ears uncovered and the "labourer" has both ears covered from time to time. A fourth man looks like he is attempting to fly ,both ear defenders are" flipped "up off his ears.Being deaf myself I am sure they may be needing hearing aids before long.:fp:

Similar here. The council workman aren't allowed to cut grass / strim on any bank above 30Degrees slope. Fine, we now have unpassable footpaths!
The same council workmen however are quite happy to strim and trim the Churchyard bank on both sides which is banked at about 47Degrees.... explain that!

Similar thing over here. As Oz is quite heavily prone to white ants (Termites), most homes have to be inspected yearly for their building insurance to be maintained and also it is usually a requirement of a Mortgage.

While a lot of older houses were timber framed this is fine. A lot of the more modern buildings are "brick & tile" with only the roof supports being of (usually) treated wood. This means a major part of the inspection for termites involves the inspector climbing around in the rafters. The point of entry is usually the (single) manhole cover inside the house.

Come about 18 months ago Health and Safety have decreed that to work in the rafter space a person has to have a MINIMUM of 3 points of contact at all times with the structure. This basically means that the inspector cannot move around..all he can do is stick his head into the roof space and look at the nearest timbers.

We are being told that for them to do the inspection properly, we now have to have manholes cut into the ceiling of every bloody room in the place!!!

WE have to pay to have ugly intrusive manholes cut into our ceilings so that we can PAY someone to come once a year and stick his head through the ceiling of every room. AAAAAAAAAAARGH.....NOT HAPPENING!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm glad I got into the habit several years ago of wearing 'earmuffs' when mowing the lawn, weedwacking, using the chainsaw, etc. I almost don't feel right not wearing them now. Mine are not the best but the minus 25 db sure makes a difference!

It used to be called Common Sense, though if H&S was a serious reality then we should take risk assessment every time we aim to drive our cars anywhere, there cannot be a more dangerous place to be than on the highway

They could use some Black Adder inspired ear protection.:rolling:

Attachments

• Ear Muffs.jpg
    Ear Muffs.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
Don't all men have built in ear defenders which they deploy when , as Doris Day says :

Oh, the lady in a rage is a-rolling on over the plains
With the lips a flappin' , the tongue a-snappin' the protruding veins
A stormy sky, a dreadful day
Whip-crack-away, whip-crack-away, whip-crack-away

We're having new Windows fitted and the man from Needhams came to give us a quote, I asked if there would be more than one fitter because last time we had the bedroom windows done they sent one bloke and I had to help him lower the old window down the ladder because he couldn't do it on his own, the Needhams bloke looked at me to see if I was serious?? He said you did what? I said I didn't mind helping out but that was 20 years ago and I'd be worried now about letting go of rope and killing the fitter. He went white!! And asked who the company was, I said, All Weather Windows, he whispered under his breath, thank god for that. He reassured me that safety methods had changed and no way would I be asked to lower the rope!! He seriously looked shocked so it just goes to show how things have changed in 20 years. Dick those tree cutters are pain in the arris, make a hell of a din

Now I go fittin' windows to earn an honest bob
For a Nosy Parker it's an interestin' job

Now it's a job that just suits me
A window fitter I would be
If you can see what I can see
When I'm fittin' windows

:08:

................................. and then you acquire a shed , don a pair of greasy overalls and a Flat Cap and learn to ignore those eloquent calls of your name , for example Wasley, when you are required for Tea or a visit to your in-laws.

We're having new Windows fitted and the man from Needhams came to give us a quote, I asked if there would be more than one fitter because last time we had the bedroom windows done they sent one bloke and I had to help him lower the old window down the ladder because he couldn't do it on his own, the Needhams bloke looked at me to see if I was serious?? He said you did what? I said I didn't mind helping out but that was 20 years ago and I'd be worried now about letting go of rope and killing the fitter. He went white!! And asked who the company was, I said, All Weather Windows, he whispered under his breath, thank god for that. He reassured me that safety methods had changed and no way would I be asked to lower the rope!! He seriously looked shocked so it just goes to show how things have changed in 20 years. Dick those tree cutters are pain in the arris, make a hell of a din
I saw a bit on a TV show where the neighbor across the street had a TV camera running and he filmed the window crew across the street totally flubbing the installation of a window. It was sad and funny at the same time.

Back