Hazelhurst Shanty

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Watched The Swan Man of Ilkley last night and noticed some more of the cleverness of music composer Ronnie Hazelhurst. Around the 5:45 mark where Tom is adjusting the snorkle on a dummy's diving suit outside of Aunty's there is a very brief tune played I believe is called Drunken Sailor. It is fleeting and easy to slip past. If one did not know the melody it could easily seem to have been a random bit of notes as one scene tranistions to another.

Normally I am engrossed in watching the actors and absorb the musical works by Mr. Hazelhurst as atmospheric setting without thinking too much about it. This time it jumped out at me and I noticed it right away. Times like this really I admire his skills and talent in blending his music into the show. I have seen this episode several times and this is the first time I had noticed the shanty song. Discovering neat little bits of detail make rewatching Summer Wine a joy and an adventure.

Last edited:
I do likewise Rick , as I am so familiar with the plot I find it easy to listen out for the incidental music Mr H provides and try and identify it and why he played it at that point in the plot because clearly of something in the scene . It is indeed the Drunken Sailor could equally have used a snippet of the Trumpet Hornpipe used in the show starring my Avatar , Captain Pugwash, as played by one of Tony and my favourite bands Fairport Convention and many others.

Back