Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! &^$#@@ ing Bar-Stewards (sp)

Brian Johns

Dedicated Member
0010hrs Sunday Morning sitting up late at night watching (what do you think???.....Yep, early Blamire ep.)
I have earphones on so as not to keep the missus awake. All nice and dark and quiet, me, fat dumb & happy.

I then begin to smell something...not sure what and it is getting stronger...check out the back...nothing and smell isn't there.

Check out the front, low and behold, across the street my neighbour's car is on fire!!!!! Flame coming from back passenger window. I go flying across the road, my sartorial elegance on display (ratty old shorts, t-shirt and "flip flops") I know I don't have a hose long enough to reach so I bang like crazy on my neighbour's front window (waking his dogs) and then fly back to my place to get a bucket of water....as the fire hadn't fully taken hold I was hoping I could get the majority of it out with the first bucket full.

The missus of course by now is awake, so I yell to her to call the fire brigade for a car fire (neglect to tell her it wasn't one of ours...oops) and I go charging back out with my bucket of water. By this time my neighbour has staggered out of his house half asleep and seen the fire and is not amused.:devil2::cry2:

The source of the fire was clearly the front passenger seat so I dumped a stack of water on in, put out a lot of the flames but of course now there is toxic smoke in abundance...silly me copped a face full...cough, cough, splutter etc. etc.

Still had a little left in the bucket so threw that up into the roof lining and cop another face full of smoke!!

Luckily my neighbour knew there was a tap nearby in another neighbour's yard, a lot closer than mine and as luck would have it, there was a garden hose attached AND IT REACHED (just!) so we were able to completely extinguish the fire

IMG_0731.jpg

Damage was limited to the interior only, but still a hell of a mess.:mad::devil2:

Turns out someone had thrown a rock through the back driver's door and then rolled the vehicle down a sloped driveway and onto the road...obviously tried to steal it, but couldn't, so they set fire to it by putting something on the passenger seat (NOTE: For our USA friends, we are like the UK and the driver's seat is on the RIGHT!)

Fireys turn up and thermal image the thing to make sure the fire is totally out and Gendarmes turn up a bit later....made me feel old, the senior bloke had 2 stripes up and he joined a year AFTER I retired!!!

Anyhow just letting things settle for a few minutes then I will have to have a shower again before going to beddy-bye's as my clothes and hair stink of smoke.

This vehicle was the owner's pride and joy so of course he is gutted! (probably more than the car!)

As the thread title says... bl**dy bar-stewards. (say it fast!):33::46:

Ok off to wash the smoke body now then beddy-byes!

Looks like no courtesy over here either!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh dear, it seems it was a trend here just to steal cars and then burn them out, not sure if this is happening as much as it used to. Locally there is still the odd car or bike stolen, as we live in a gated community it appears more secure but not impossible to happen, there is also a lot of CCTV here so it might put most villains off.

Depending on the year it looks like it could be an insurance write off anyway, maybe just as well for the owner. That smell might always be there

Stealing, dumping and torching a vehicle is not uncommon here; but setting fire to it, basically in the owner's driveway is a bit unusual.

Back