Goodbye Seymour, Hello Foggy

bigcat

Well just hit the last episode with Seymour. They seemed to fly along. I did enjoy them more than I remembered doing when I saw them years ago.
Fascinating to see the change from the smaller cast in the first Foggy run to the expanded cast during the Seymour years. I wonder how Foggy will handle the larger community as he re-enters the show?

Bigcat, did you notice the little bit of drama at the very end of What's Santa Brought for Nora Then?

I have been caught in an untruth! Seymour would be very annoyed with me.

The American DVD sets early on didn't include many of the specials and they were released on a separate DVD so the BBC could make more money off us poor Yankees. Earlier I had watched Merry Christmas, Father Christmas and Big Day at Dream Acres, but then I forgot about the specials disks. So it was I forgot to watch CRUMS and What's Santa Bringing for Nora Then? as they weren't on the season 10 and 11 DVDs.

As my enjoyable penance I shall begin to watch them immediately though not sooner and meet Auntie Wainwright.

Well bigcat, it must be magical to watch all these 'new' episodes. To find Just a few out takes would do me.

I have watched these shows up through the year 2000 many moon and sun rotations ago, so they aren't fully new. Oddly Up through Foggy's first leaving, I remembered them quite well but after that my memory has been spotty at best. Sometimes a poor memory is a good thing!

I watched CRUMS and What's Santa Brought Nora Batty? Now I'm ready for the reappearance of Foggy! Eventually I usually get there.

Fascinating to see the change from the smaller cast in the first Foggy run to the expanded cast during the Seymour years. I wonder how Foggy will handle the larger community as he re-enters the show?
Foggy will handle the larger community quite clumsily. :)

You've probably finished the series by now Bigcat by time I've posted this. ;) The Seymour Years are delightful and the warm feeling generated behind the scenes really permeates the cast's performances and it's upped several levels. By the time Foggy is back there is a wonderful glow of community now to indulge in for the 'barmpot of the week' era. It's probably this period the BBC was most invested in the show and it's stars.

I'm only on season 13. I got slowed down watching Good Life, but it was a nice little rabbit trail.

The second Foggy years are quite nice as well as the Seymour years. I do like the feeling of the town a bit more and the extra folks give the show a bit more interest and more stories to tell.

May I say in response to the message from bigcat, I watched the Good life when it was broadcast, and although some critics were less than kind, I thoroughly enjoyed it, the cast just as in Summer Wine did a sterling job, and it was nice to see a gentler take on life and temporarily escape from the harsher realities of life. Naive, perhaps but I make no apologies for wanting a gentler world.

I enjoyed the actors very much and must admit to having a mild crush on Felicity Kendell. Also enjoy Richard Briars in Monarch of the Glen which I must be getting back to.

I agree about escaping to a gentler world. I'm doing 'research' for a 1960s book about US sitcoms and I'm watching Andy Griffith while reading a book that is sort of a print dvd commentary on some of the shows. The town of Mayberry is a wonderful place that still has a stunning number of viewers and fans it seems. Some similarities to Last of the Summer Wine as far as being set in a time and a place we enjoy.

bigcat, I hope you have great success in your endeavours, I think the attraction for me was lack of malice in The Good Life, I started to forget it was a group of talented actors , same as Summer wine, yes, it was silly, but again, I came away thinking, If only life could be less intense, it was a great escape watching both of these magnificent shows.

Another show I became fond of for the same reasons as The Good Life, and Summer Wine was "As time goes by" I believe it was the same writer as The Good Life, again a gentle slant on life, and wonderful portrayal from the actors involved - Heavens I am a big softy!

Another show I became fond of for the same reasons as The Good Life, and Summer Wine was "As time goes by" I believe it was the same writer as The Good Life, again a gentle slant on life, and wonderful portrayal from the actors involved - Heavens I am a big softy!
Not sure if you've seen my post from a while back but I opened a thread on this very subject

Since this thread title mentions Foggy, in the book to accompany the series he is Oliver, in the series he is referred to as Walter, but, I seem to remember Clegg and Compo finding a chest in his room with C.O.D on it, am I imagining this, if not, what was his first name?

Since this thread title mentions Foggy, in the book to accompany the series he is Oliver, in the series he is referred to as Walter, but, I seem to remember Clegg and Compo finding a chest in his room with C.O.D on it, am I imagining this, if not, what was his first name?
This was in series 3 "The Kink In Foggy's Niblick", Foggy says "You will find my monogram on some of the better pieces", Clegg picks up a cardboard box with a "C.O.D." (Cash On Delivery) label. Clegg is joking when he says "C.O.D.? Corporal Oliver Dewhurst?" Despite being called Graham in the prequel, he is usually called "Walter" in LotSW.

Back