Goodbye Compo

chris

Dedicated Member
Gold have been running the episodes covering Compos sad passing the last couple of days and I know its been covered before but I had to share my feelings on these episodes.The writing is excellent with much feeling and satire even though its a serious subject plus it tied up a few loose ends on Compos life.The final moment still brings a tear as they set off for a trip round the hills .These episodes allowed the cast to excel in delivering their lines and deliver some brilliant one liners plus some surprises ie Reggie in that shirt ! I think these episodes are some of Roys best writing shame they didn't explain Wesleys passing better just did not mention him at all.The show seemed to lose its way a little after the loss of Compo but was still the best on tv and todays writers cannot match the greats of the seventies witness so called top comedy of today ,rubbish.Well that's my summing up of some great tv and a fitting end of a great actor and character well done Roy.

Well said Chris, there have been some reviews on our Facebook group and someone said that is passing should have only been mention in passing over a pint but I totally disagree but I refrained from saying so because I'm not sure I could have been polite. I think Roy did a great job at short notice even if I can't watch them.

Yes it has been brought up before Chris. Some including myself agree with your sentiments and others didn`t quite go along with it. Apart from Wesley. Nora, Sid, Wally and Edie were never given a proper send off. Just a casual mention now and again.

Well said all. I think it would have been nice to have some kind of farewell to the other co-stars that passed away. Maybe not as much as they did for Compo.

When Nora left for a little bit it was good of them to say she went to Australia to visit with her sister. Telling us that Seymour went for a job offer elsewhere or Blamire went off to Wales (I think), Foggy going of to do some egg painting was a nice bit of closure.
Always found it heart warming when Nora and Ivy would affectionately think back on Wally and Sid and say some kind words about them.

Some what ifs and could haves... Wesley could have gotten an offer from some distant company that designs new mechanical inventions. Sid could have taken the van to open up another cafe in Huddersfield. Wally could have gone on a trek to find a missing prize pigeon. Billy could have gone off to start his band of Merry Men in the Greenwood. Smiler and Eli could have opened a new branch shop for Auntie in Huddersfield. These could have been nice ways to let the characters continue on without being seen on the show.

Though some characters could be wrritten out by saying they live somewhere else now, it just wouldn't be right for characters like Sid, Wally and Wesley. The actors have died in real life, and no actor could replace these. And the characters are married, and settled, and it would be out of character for them to leave their homes and wives, IMO. And such action by these characters wouldn't have gained any respect from the audience anyway.

I think it was right to kill these people off in the series. It was all done very respectfully and quietly, and as a few years passed, allowed some sensitive writing as they are occasionally remembered.

It was right for Nora Batty to be written out, both times in Australia I think, bearing in mind on both occassions the actress was, initially at least, still alive, and could have been brought back.

Well said all. I think it would have been nice to have some kind of farewell to the other co-stars that passed away. Maybe not as much as they did for Compo.

Some what ifs and could haves... ....Sid could have taken the van to open up another cafe in Huddersfield. Wally could have gone on a trek to find a missing prize pigeon. .... Smiler and Eli could have opened a new branch shop for Auntie in Huddersfield. These could have been nice ways to let the characters continue on without being seen on the show.

Going far then! Straight onto the 316 bus!

Just checekd it is the 435 and 436 that go to Wakefield from Holmfirth, and 308, 310, 312and 316 seerve Huddersfield and Holmfirth ... for those without cars this has been a public service announcement brought to you by Senna Lollies - the laxative on a stick!

And can any one guess where that last bit came from - not original!

Still was in holiday mood. Should have said the No 14 :confused:

well that is Pudsey to Leeds, or a Preston circular, or Muirhead to Greendyke in Lothian, or one in Bournemouth, Blackpool or Reading or London Putney Heath to Warren Street just up from Tottenham Cioyrt Road ...

so no wonder it was missing if it was near Holmfirth ....

The no14 is a bus that we all don't want to see but cant resist seeing ,bit like some of the buses round here1:30:

She says it stops outside her house!:30::39:

If you were the driver would you dare drive past her house , they stop just in case there is a remote possibility Pearl needs to use the bus service . There was an episode of Would I Lie to You where it was disclosed that Barry Cryer shouted "Hello Darling" at his local bus service when it passed by , answers on a postcard please for what Pearl would utter if the bus drove straight past her !

If you were the driver would you dare drive past her house , they stop just in case there is a remote possibility Pearl needs to use the bus service . There was an episode of Would I Lie to You where it was disclosed that Barry Cryer shouted "Hello Darling" at his local bus service when it passed by , answers on a postcard please for what Pearl would utter if the bus drove straight past her !

I have seen what she says about drivers on mini-roundabouts - so cover your ears chaps ..... :frown::redface::roflmao::smile::sneaky::speechless:

Back