good to see episodes

chris

Dedicated Member
This afternoon I watched some of my favourite episodes ,Foggy,s momentous arrival which included him being thumped by Malcom and showing us his thinking moments something that declined over time.Ivy was definitely more violent then and the café looked horrible and the food the same. Seeing Compo sailing over the roof is priceless of note is the small numbers in the cast a good thing I think. Then my all time favourtes the Scarborough episodes the cast excelled themselves in showing the different ways people carried on when away from home.Firstly Compo in a smart jacket and plimsoles well what can you say amazing,but taking your ferrets on holiday gross ! Poor old Gordon all he wanted to do was fish but uncle Bill had other ideas those three women must have frightened him off women for life.I liked it when Nora thumped her poor benighted Wally saying you will enjoy your self how many of us fellas have been told that.Overall these episodes set the shows direction and with different characters has carried on but I do think the cast got to big in later years.Interestingly Foggy,s second return was very similar to the first set in a bus station and he set upon some hapless passengers with his stick ,interesting how some old gags got reworked shows how good they were first time round. Just remembered Foggy going swimming he looked genuinely cold and the shaking cup at breakfast brilliant. Any comments folks

A small (very small) criticism, your font is bold, hurts my eyes, and to have it all in one paragraph makes it virtually impossible to read through without getting "brick wall" syndrome.
Sorry to be so negative, and I'm hoping it won't affect your posting......:redface:

Some of my most favourite episodes also come from Series Three, which you are referring to.

The Man from Oswestry, Mending Stuart's Leg, the Scarborough episodes and The Kink in Foggy's Niblick are some of my absolute episodes.

They are also some of mine when Foggy hits the Sea its priceless, having swam in the North Sea many, many times its never warm at any time of year but on a dull day like when they filmed it must have been perishing hats off to Brian Wilde no stuntman needed . The most notable about the early episodes to me is the aggressive inflection in a lot of the characters voices which mellowed as the series progressed through the years.

Further evidence ,I remember from being a child, was an outdoor lido that was at costal resort Tynemouth . We enjoyed great times there thankfully there is a group trying to have it restored which would be so wonderful . The full size Pool was Salt water and the staff used to use a blackboard to write the Pool temperature on definitely have a recollection of them posting a figure of 19 degrees and all of the kids including me cheered , ran and jumped in and found it absolutely freezing , one of the staff walked along and rubbed out the 1 and I can remember all the parents cheering and laughing because we had been duped into jumping in , happy days :)

Last edited:
They are also some of mine when Foggy hits the Sea its priceless, having swam in the North Sea many, many times its never warm at any time of year but on a dull day like when they filmed it must have been perishing hats off to Brian Wilde no stuntman needed . The most notable about the early episodes to me is the aggressive inflection in a lot of the characters voices which mellowed as the series progressed through the years.
It must of been a baptism of a sort for Brian Wilde to pick up that script and find that he faced a daunting physical challenge. Sort of like being thrown in at the deep end.

Just watched Full Steam Behind filmed on the Kieghley and Worth Rly in its very early days and before the Railway Children film Foggy actualy paniced a change from Clegg great episode.

Another set today Compo hang gliding as a pigeon ,Foggy and Compo stuck up trees classic some of the best.

Just watched Full Steam Behind filmed on the Kieghley and Worth Rly in its very early days and before the Railway Children film Foggy actualy paniced a change from Clegg great episode.
Chris, my English is usually pretty good and I can get past most Briticisms, but "paniced" has me floored. What does it mean?

On Thursday I went to the DeHaviland museum and it is very hands on so we touched everything and we did the cry went up Don't Touch That very corporal Jones and a good time was had by all!

I absolutely love the Scarborough episodes. I really wish I was there with them. It seemed like so much fun. And yes, it was great to see their characters outside of their usual settings.

Of course, each era has its own highlights. I have the summer off due to my teaching job and the Public Television station is in the middle of Foggy's second run, which isn't the best overall era. However, I am lucky to catch Stop That Bath, Stone Worm, and There are Gypsies at the Bottom of our Garden last week. Gypsies is one of those episodes that I find particulalry good that no one seems to notice.

Speaking of the Scarborough episodes, Phillip Jackson, who played Gordon, was little and skinny, barely larger than the fishing pole he was fishing with. Later on, with that Inspector role in Poirot, he was somewhat filled out with that giant mustache. Hard to believe that was the same person. No matter, he always gives a solid performance.

There were so many good episodes it's very difficult to choose, but the ones I particularly relish watching are many of the shows with an interesting guest star appearing, giving us a fresh face.
So many good ones, it's actually easier to pick out the poor episodes and keep all the others.

Back