Going out to eat

minxie

Dedicated Member
I am watching the episode where Howard ends up taking Pearl and Marina out to dinner at the same time.
Pearl says that they have never been out for a meal their entire married life!!!

Amazing, do you think that there are people out there who have never gone out to eat, I find that very hard to believe.

If you can't go out for a little nosh and a drinkie pooh's now and then life isn't worth living!!!!

I don't ever remember my grandparents going out to eat. They always ate at home, however they were quite poor in money, but rich in friends and family. So, there always seemed to be someone at or something going on at their home.
After moving away,I remember one time visiting, and we told them we would bring in a pizza from the local pizza shop and they fell over each other. No that's too much, you can't spend that kind of money, etc.
My folks, we ate out every Friday night, nothing more.
My family, way too much!!!! We are currently trying to eat at home more, when you look at how much eating out costs compared to staying in, there is a huge difference.
However, I do feel that you must go out every now and then too.

well you probably have to think about this, some marriages used to be like this, the women was in the kitchen all day getting the man his meal after work (although it's not like that now) so they had no time to go out for meals unless its a really special occasion, also this is Yorkshire as well where people are tight with money as well, I can't believe that Howard and Pearl never went out for a meal before that, maybe they did once or twice for a special birthday or wedding anniversary.

personally I think going out for a meal is nice but personally I don't very often cause I get anxious in public places a lot of the time

We used to eat out way more. But as we got older, two meals
were just way way too much food. Here in the states, sharing a meal
(or a OAP meal) is rather rare. Not like in Yorks where we always
eat at pubs and get an OAP meal, or share a meal with 2 plates.
Especially at the Black Sheep brewery restaurant where they bring us
two of everything, and one meal of roast lamb on 2 plates, and I swear
is more than a normal-sized meal.

Really prefer dining in Yorks, and not so much here at home.

well you probably have to think about this, some marriages used to be like this, the women was in the kitchen all day getting the man his meal after work (although it's not like that now) so they had no time to go out for meals unless its a really special occasion, also this is Yorkshire as well where people are tight with money as well, I can't believe that Howard and Pearl never went out for a meal before that, maybe they did once or twice for a special birthday or wedding anniversary.

personally I think going out for a meal is nice but personally I don't very often cause I get anxious in public places a lot of the time

I opt for the less populated restaurants. I think mine has more to do with my poor hearing than anxiety, however I do not like to sit still, very go, go, go person. We live near Tallahassee but I prefer to drive to drive to a small town a bit north of us to eat out. Much nicer people and less people in general.
My grandparents also cherished a good ride in the car on a nice country back road, something I like as well.

When I go out here in So Cal, me and my friends tend to share our plates more. One serving has way too much food on it. So two friends may get a desert item while me and the other get the two main courses then we all pick at each others dishes. Unorthodox but we don't mind.

Back in the '60's, my family ate out only when on trips. Our grandmother was in a home for the aged which was about an hour away. In those days that was a big trip and we always stopped at Barbara Fritches, a restaurant that is still there, to eat. The potato salad tastes exactly the same as it did back then.

I grew up in the restaurant and catering business, so the line between eating at home and eating at a restaurant got rather blurred. I imagine the situation was quite similar with Sid and Ivy.

I never set foot in a restaurant until I met my husband. Has a child we went on loads of bus trips has a family and always had a picnic. I think I was nearly 30 before I had a Macdonald's and my kids will tell you I never took them in there either my grandkids go occasionally
but both my daughters are health nuts so its not often.
For birthdays and such we go out has a family usually if its an adults birthday we go to a Toby but the kids like going to Frankie and Bennys or Pizza Hut. I like to eat at home, I cook from scratch so I know what I'm eating but I know a lot of "Youngsters" don't like or know how to cook which is a shame.

I try and cook at least one meal a day from scratch, but I do like to eat out occasionally. Preferably at a pub or restaurant that has a "set " menu. The thing that puts me off Toby and the like is the plates piled high "syndrome" .You wonder where they are going to put it and more often than not they leave a fair bit. :-\ Our local Toby is situated near the local reservoir and the resident gulls have learnt that on hot days when people eat outside there are often easy pickings when the people leave the table. :eek: :eek:

I try and cook at least one meal a day from scratch, but I do like to eat out occasionally. Preferably at a pub or restaurant that has a "set " menu. The thing that puts me off Toby and the like is the plates piled high "syndrome" .You wonder where they are going to put it and more often than not they leave a fair bit. :-\ Our local Toby is situated near the local reservoir and the resident gulls have learnt that on hot days when people eat outside there are often easy pickings when the people leave the table. :eek: :eek:

That's not good!!
I like Toby because the meats always well cooked ( I like my meat to be dead, well dead and no chance of a good resus team bring it back!) Its true your eyes can be bigger than your belly but its always a nice meal.
You can keep the gulls at yours ;D ;D

In the fifties the only time I had a meal out was on the Brighton Belle and it was great we had been to Brighton for a few days holiday and I think my father had had a row with my mum so he made it up by eating on the Belle.I like going out ocasionaly for a meal we have some good inexpensive places round here my favourite is a family run pub in a nearby village the menu covers all types of food.A small chain of pub eaterys offer good food and a good pint in nice surroundings mostly in villages.

Do you guys across the pond have, what we call, buffets?

Not really sure what you mean by a buffet but some restaurants offer casual dining. There are ones that have salad bars and hot bars and you are shown to your seats and then given the option of going to the salad bar and hot bar. And then there are restaurants that offer the beloved Sunday brunch which of course is served on Sunday morning.

Do you guys across the pond have, what we call, buffets?

Not really sure what you mean by a buffet but some restaurants offer casual dining. There are ones that have salad bars and hot bars and you are shown to your seats and then given the option of going to the salad bar and hot bar. And then there are restaurants that offer the beloved Sunday brunch which of course is served on Sunday morning.

Sounds kind of similar, You pay a flat rate, say $11.00 and then you can eat a much as you can. Ours will have a salad bar, multiple hot bars with many different types of food. Tacos, fried chicken, steak, fish, etc. Most will have a dessert bar as well.

We have just had a Harvester open this is a salad bar main course place but everybody is moaning about the service and the length of time you have to wait to get a table.Much prefer local pubs one has just won an award for best country pub its owned by the villagers as are a few others in the area.

We have just had a Harvester open this is a salad bar main course place but everybody is moaning about the service and the length of time you have to wait to get a table.Much prefer local pubs one has just won an award for best country pub its owned by the villagers as are a few others in the area.

Eating at the local pub sounds very nice, sounds like it would very cozy. This will be on our to do list if we ever get across the pond to visit.

Eating at the local pub sounds very nice, sounds like it would very cozy. This will be on our to do list if we ever get across the pond to visit.
I agree. I enjoyed the setting of one of the pubs where Compo was drying himself at the local pub in front of the fireplace with comfortable looking furniture around. It looked like a home from one angle. I don't drink but I felt as well that I have to see a pub and bring my mom and my daughters with me. Of course my oldest will get there before me.
;D

maybe howard and pearl never went out to eat because howard often extolled pearls cooking prowess...he said himself she makes a steak and kidney pie to die for !!! ;D

Back