Glenda-anyone think she got too paranoid?

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
it was like she thought if Barry was out and didnt tell her where he was going,he was with another woman ::) I think hearing the other women's views on men affected her

I agree, I didn't think it was fair to be told all about being careful of what they do, especially as Barry IS trustworthy. He even agrees to never wear the gold suit again after seeing Compo in it with Babs in 'The Suit That Attracts Blondes'. Must have been hard for Barry always being questioned by Glenda, especially when he is seen with Marina in the supermarket by Edie. "I find that highly unlikely FOR SOMEONE WHO WORKS IN A BUILDING SOCIETY!". I'm not surprised he didn't snap and ask her why she kept telling Glenda to ask the questions!

it was like she thought if Barry was out and didnt tell her where he was going,he was with another woman ::) I think hearing the other women's views on men affected her

I think that is taking the programme far too seriously. It's a comedy, and some of the moments between Edie and Glenda are what gave the series its whimsical charm.

They had some of the best dialogue at the coffee mornings, and I for one would not have wanted that to change.

I think it was just par for the course for all the male characters to be hen-pecked by the female characters. You see the way Wally was bullied about by Nora and Sid by Ivy, and one just naturally assumes that was the way of things in Holmfirth. Besides, when Wally prompted Nora's wrath by making a sly comment, or when Sid got hit with a chip pan by Ivy, it made for some great comedy!

I think it was just par for the course for all the male characters to be hen-pecked by the female characters. You see the way Wally was bullied about by Nora and Sid by Ivy, and one just naturally assumes that was the way of things in Holmfirth. Besides, when Wally prompted Nora's wrath by making a sly comment, or when Sid got hit with a chip pan by Ivy, it made for some great comedy!

I truth it's Roy Clarke's take on working class Northern women in general. They have always been seen as strong characters prepared to put up with no nonsense.
I think he was probably comparing them with some women he may have remembered from his childhood.

Back