Giving up your seat to a lady

Before I retired, I worked in DC and commuted from Virginia, an hours bus ride away. And there would ALWAYS be a true gentleman who would give up his seat. It never failed that someone would rise and I would gratefully sit.

Before I retired, I worked in DC and commuted from Virginia, an hours bus ride away. And there would ALWAYS be a true gentleman who would give up his seat. It never failed that someone would rise and I would gratefully sit.
The number of teenagers who have offered me a seat since I started to get around with the stick ,is amazing. They are not all uncaring! :)

Yes I expect my daughters to be courteous and respectful of others. If I ever hear they are not I will pull a "Susan" on them. ;) That will show them! Just kidding you Susan. Actually they are both taller than me and stronger. Ha ha.

Seriously though kids need to learn this when they are young. It's hard to teach them when they are older.

Yes I expect my daughters to be courteous and respectful of others. If I ever hear they are not I will pull a "Susan" on them. ;) That will show them! Just kidding you Susan. Actually they are both taller than me and stronger. Ha ha.

Seriously though kids need to learn this when they are young. It's hard to teach them when they are older.

Quite agree, it makes the world a nicer place to live. :D

good for you bwingate, exactly the same with my two sons who are now 23 and 18....lovely lads who would do anything for anyone, the formative years, which i'm sure you'll agree with, were hard work but it pays off... :)

good for you bwingate, exactly the same with my two sons who are now 23 and 18....lovely lads who would do anything for anyone, the formative years, which i'm sure you'll agree with, were hard work but it pays off... :)
Yes I agree it is worth it!
:)

I am amazed at how we don't teach manners the way we used to also! I am amazed when my nieces or nephew do not hold doors for others....after the first time of that in front of me they learned very quickly!!!!!! I think whole generations, mine included, need some good manners/ etiquette refreshing! Cell phones have definitely removed a vital human interaction.

I agree with you all. The local youngsters hardly raise their eyes from their phones these days. If they are looking ahead they seem to be plugged in to an mp3 thingy. I know some lovely kids, but they appear to be outnumbered by the tribes of mute, vacant-eyed zombies wandering around Neath.

Cell phones/ mobiles have certainly taken over >:( On holiday recently I saw this (maybe) 4 year old trying to attract mums attention, mum shrugged the kiddy off (quite violently I thought ) she was too busy with her mobile! At my expression of disgust my family thought it was a physical problem I had till I explained the reason. My eldest would have been on the woman's case but we were inside a restaurant and by the time she got there the woman had dragged the child off still yattering on her mobile. If this is how we are teaching the younger generation I fear for the future ,as regards caring for each other. >:( >:(

Cell phones/ mobiles have certainly taken over >:( On holiday recently I saw this (maybe) 4 year old trying to attract mums attention, mum shrugged the kiddy off (quite violently I thought ) she was too busy with her mobile! At my expression of disgust my family thought it was a physical problem I had till I explained the reason. My eldest would have been on the woman's case but we were inside a restaurant and by the time she got there the woman had dragged the child off still yattering on her mobile. If this is how we are teaching the younger generation I fear for the future ,as regards caring for each other. >:( >:(

I see that all the time and totally disgusts me, it irritates the hell out of me when you see them crossing the road on the phone and the child is 10 steps behind wondering across without even looking and the parent doesn't even glance back to see the they made it across ok!

The mobile phone epitomises the individualistic society we live in. We* tend not to concern ourselves with others as we are too busy, too occupied with what we want to do. The concept of service to others is one that is less common than it used to be, or dare I say, should be.

However there are those who do care, who do look out for others and when you see that I think it lifts the spirits.

*The use of we here does not really mean you and I, it is merely my quaint way of referrign to the world at large ...

Back