Give us a lift

Hector

Dedicated Member
While watching the episode again today and particularly the part were compo gets thrown off the back of the land rover I happened to notice something.When I paused the dvd just after the chair on the back of the land rover goes vertical and the stuntman rolls off I could see Compo/Bill Owen crouching beside the telegraph pole and side of land rover which is furthest away from the camera.He was probably crouched and waiting here to do his scene looking stunned and shocked.

What looks like a straight forward sort of stunt looks as though quite a lot of work has gone into it to make it work just right.The stunt looks as though it was shot in a few takes because we first see the chair shooting backwards and all looks normal but when the camera angle changes to look towards the back the chair now looks much higher.When we see the back of the chair as it starts to tip two sort of vents appear in the material at the back of the chair and some sort of arm or such like comes down to grasp the tail gate of the land rover.The material then becomes very loose and some sort of "mechanism" can be seen inside/behind the chair itself.
If you look at the bottom of the chair as it is almost vertical you can see a metal plate underneath where the stuntman sits and the chair itself is on some sort of metal contraption.I don't know if this is used to propel the chair backwards and keep it straight or if its used to aid in tipping the chair in a similar fashion to how they roll a car.They tried to cover the bottom of the chair and contraption with a dark cloth but when paused the outline and indeed metal parts are visible.
Anyone interested in this would be better to watch the scene for themselves as I am useless at trying to describe such things.

Another interesting thing to see in "The Odd Dog Men" is when Foggy is trying to climb into the back of a trailer as its being towed up the road and being chased by a dog.
If you look closely you can see Foggys stuntman clamber into the trailer and lie, "in front" of Cleggy and Compo but Foggy himself appears "behind" Cleggy and Compo towards the front of the trailer.

Just a few things I thought might interest a few of you

Hector..

While watching the episode again today and particularly the part were compo gets thrown off the back of the land rover I happened to notice something.When I paused the dvd just after the chair on the back of the land rover goes vertical and the stuntman rolls off I could see Compo/Bill Owen crouching beside the telegraph pole and side of land rover which is furthest away from the camera.He was probably crouched and waiting here to do his scene looking stunned and shocked.

What looks like a straight forward sort of stunt looks as though quite a lot of work has gone into it to make it work just right.The stunt looks as though it was shot in a few takes because we first see the chair shooting backwards and all looks normal but when the camera angle changes to look towards the back the chair now looks much higher.When we see the back of the chair as it starts to tip two sort of vents appear in the material at the back of the chair and some sort of arm or such like comes down to grasp the tail gate of the land rover.The material then becomes very loose and some sort of "mechanism" can be seen inside/behind the chair itself.
If you look at the bottom of the chair as it is almost vertical you can see a metal plate underneath where the stuntman sits and the chair itself is on some sort of metal contraption.I don't know if this is used to propel the chair backwards and keep it straight or if its used to aid in tipping the chair in a similar fashion to how they roll a car.They tried to cover the bottom of the chair and contraption with a dark cloth but when paused the outline and indeed metal parts are visible.
Anyone interested in this would be better to watch the scene for themselves as I am useless at trying to describe such things.

Another interesting thing to see in "The Odd Dog Men" is when Foggy is trying to climb into the back of a trailer as its being towed up the road and being chased by a dog.
If you look closely you can see Foggys stuntman clamber into the trailer and lie, "in front" of Cleggy and Compo but Foggy himself appears "behind" Cleggy and Compo towards the front of the trailer.

Just a few things I thought might interest a few of you

Hector..

Well spotted Hector

I think I shall have to start pausing to see what can be spotted: when seen continuously you obviously miss the bits you are not meant to see.

Good eye Hector, going to you tube now. I love seeing things like that, but I seem to need someone with a keener eye than myself to find such technical glitches.! Thanks.:respect:

Just checked out and I definitely see top of Compo's cap. not fast enough yet to see Peter Sallis. They are between the chair and Clegg in the bed of the truck. Good eye!

Last edited:
Picture

Here is a screen grab,the real Compo is hiding under the arrow

Attachments

• Stunt1.jpg
    Stunt1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 22
Any chance of doing the same thing on the intro to WATCHING THE CLOCK please Terry?? I am quite convinced I see a mop of white hair behind the wall when Truly and Billy are on the seesaw! :39:

Any chance of doing the same thing on the intro to WATCHING THE CLOCK please Terry?? I am quite convinced I see a mop of white hair behind the wall when Truly and Billy are on the seesaw! :39:

Yes you do Dick,well spotted as it is only there for a second

Attachments

• Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 19
Terry,
That's a nice screen grab of Compo and the chair. Much better than my own setup which can be quite pixelated sometimes.

I tend to enjoy these type of things and if something catches my attention while watching an episode then I would go back and have a closer look. It never spoils my enjoyment of the episode but rather it adds something to it.

Hector.

Back