Gentle Comedies

I've been following a few of the suggestions on this thread. I've watched the first 4 episodes of Father Ted and for me it didn't quite match the high expectations I had, although I have seen much worse. I know most people rave about it, but for me whilst watchable I just didn't find it that funny. I struggled to see what the Fr Jack character added, but I know I'm in a small minority as it did receive amazing reviews.

On the recommendation of @Peripheral I watched That's My Boy, and I did enjoy the Mollie Sugden character, she reminded me of a cross between Mrs Slocombe & Nora Batty!

I've seen That's My Boy on ITV3. I watched it the first time round, but when they start to repeat the whole series three or four times in a row, it does get a bit boring.

The Forces TV channel in the UK shows any number of old classic comedies such as Robin's Nest , Goodnight Sweetheart . I was checking the guide today and noticed they have started showing Sykes which I have very fond memories of and will watch again . Eric Sykes is up there as one of the UK's premier purveyors of comedy and this showcases his talent in bundles alongside the wonderful Hattie Jacques, Derek Guyler and Richard Wattis . I am sure you will have seen it but if not I can really recommend it .

Last edited:
I too watch them on Drama, and I know it's been mentioned here before, but having 2 5 min ad breaks during a half hour programme is an absolute joke and really ruins the momentum of our great series. I don't know the episodes well enough, but does anyone know if they actually truncate them to facilitate the extra ads?

I too watch them on Drama, and I know it's been mentioned here before, but having 2 5 min ad breaks during a half hour programme is an absolute joke and really ruins the momentum of our great series. I don't know the episodes well enough, but does anyone know if they actually truncate them to facilitate the extra ads?

It has been known for the duration of the episode to be extended to accommodate the adverts without having to edit the programme. I.E. make them last 40 minutes rather than the usual half hour.

On the subject of Gentle comedies and I suppose escapism today marks the 100th Birthday of Rupert the Bear who many members I am sure will have crossed paths with in their early lives . The BBC have added an article about it on their site today should anyone be interested . I think a lot of people still by the Annual ,which continues to be published , because it offers fond memories of times gone by.

Just spotted our beloved Barry gets another run out as a member of the Tooting Popular Front . Forces TV is broadcasting Citizen Smith from the start tonight , power to the people!!

Following the excellent recommendation of @captain clutterbuck I've been listening to many of the old comedies on the BBC Sounds app, the original Steptoe & Son series is currently playing on there for a limited time. True comedy liquid gold, it may not have been at the time however I'd call it a gentle comedy by today's standards....

Barry don't know if you have listened to Count Arthur Strong and are familiar with the character but four of his Christmas Shows are on the BBC Sounds app temporarily . He is a huge favourite of mine and these shows , if you know him , are well worth a listen . If you don't know him have a quick look at him on Wikipedia or the like to get a flavour and give them a try Bedbugs and Drumsticks[ supposed to be Bedknobs and Broomsticks but that's Count Arthur for you ] is the best of the four .

Barry don't know if you have listened to Count Arthur Strong and are familiar with the character but four of his Christmas Shows are on the BBC Sounds app temporarily . He is a huge favourite of mine and these shows , if you know him , are well worth a listen . If you don't know him have a quick look at him on Wikipedia or the like to get a flavour and give them a try Bedbugs and Drumsticks[ supposed to be Bedknobs and Broomsticks but that's Count Arthur for you ] is the best of the four .
Yes CC thank you, I'm a fan of his and have seen him live on many occasions, in fact he was probably one of the last live acts I saw before lockdown. I know he did a new Christmas special on R4 last year do you know if he's doing another this year? I do know that John Shuttleworth is doing a special which is aired on Christmas Eve in a similar vein.

I don't have details . I had hoped after his stint on TV he would go back to Radio because I think the shows are far better but with the very sad loss of Dave Mountfield who voiced Jerry and Geoffrey this year might induce Steve Delaney to call it a day. The only thing I have seen which hints at a Xmas special appears in the description of the shows on BBC Sounds . Its states that Dave had recorded his last shows and they were 2 Christmas specials one was last years and it says the other is still to air after they were recorded in Autumn last year so will keep checking the net to see if there is an announcement and if so I will post here . Glad to here John Shuttleworth is putting out a special one for the diary thanks Barry.

I don't have details . I had hoped after his stint on TV he would go back to Radio because I think the shows are far better but with the very sad loss of Dave Mountfield who voiced Jerry and Geoffrey this year might induce Steve Delaney to call it a day. The only thing I have seen which hints at a Xmas special appears in the description of the shows on BBC Sounds . Its states that Dave had recorded his last shows and they were 2 Christmas specials one was last years and it says the other is still to air after they were recorded in Autumn last year so will keep checking the net to see if there is an announcement and if so I will post here . Glad to here John Shuttleworth is putting out a special one for the diary thanks Barry.
That's really Sad CC, is he the one with Liverpudlian accent? I think that Count Arthur is definitely the star of the show, so hopefully he can continue.

Hello Barry , no he's Sally's friend who runs the Church Hall that has the laconic voice and as Jerry he runs the Cafe where Arthur is always trying to cadge food . The Scouse accent belongs to Count Arthur's protege Malcolm .

A few weeks ago we ordered the series that, with Summer Wine, is our favourite comedy, As Time Goes By. It is very sophisticated and one of the best gentle comedies. As I said, we ordered the series but two weeks later received notification that it was no longer available. The company gave us a refund. We ordered the series from elsewhere and two days later it arrived. Three days after that we received a set of the series from the company who had told us that it was out of stock so, we now have two sets of As Time Goes By for the price of one. This series is so expertly done and was directed and produced by 'Sidney Lotterby'. Now where have I seen that name before?;)

My wife and I recently discovered Hold the Sunset and we love it. I think it is a bit of an acquired taste because it is very quirky. It is also one of those shows that are best starting with the pilot episode as it is a continuous story.

I read internet reviews and so many people dislike the show because of the character, Roger. However, he is supposed to be irritating. That's his character. Anyway, if you watch it, start from the beginning. Sadly, it is only 13 episodes including a Christmas special.

The Detectorists is great. It is a very dry comedy.

Lastly, while I know "Still Open All Hours" is widely thought of as inferior to the original, my wife and I really enjoy that whenever it's on.

Back