Gentle Comedies

One of the many books I have bought and I am reading at present shows some locations of where things are filmed . I know there are fans of Keeping up Appearances so thought you might like to see " The Bouquet Residence" as it is today , actually filmed near Coventry , the Bungalow hasn't changed that much imagine you get a lot of people visiting and driving past . When the location director knocked on the doors of the adjacent properties the people thought it was a scam and joke but eventually agreed to film at 117 and 119 Heather Road.

View attachment 3302
Speaking of locations where shows are filmed, I think I heard that the outdoor scenes of "All Creatures Great and Small" are filmed in and/or around the actual house, town and surrounding areas. Truly wonderful scenery!

Speaking of locations where shows are filmed, I think I heard that the outdoor scenes of "All Creatures Great and Small" are filmed in and/or around the actual house, town and surrounding areas. Truly wonderful scenery!

It is filmed in and around a quaint village called Askrigg near Aysgarth Falls, Yorkshire. Here are a couple of snaps, a shot of the village and the large house that was the Vet's Surgery with the shop next door which was a Sweet shop in the show.

askrigg.JPG

vets surgery.jpg

I have reached Open All Hours in the location book I am sure Terry has posted pictures of the shop before but I am adding one here and also a photo of Nurse Gladys's House today and from the series . It did puzzle me because on any number of shots you see Arkwright take a ladder over the street and lean it against the wall and climb up to Nurse Gladys's "Boudoir" tapping on the window in the hope of gaining access . When you look at the now and indeed then picture, the downstairs front room has a Bay window so Arkwright would struggle to get a ladder near her bedroom window and would , like the episode The Man from Down Under where Granville moves the ladder to the next House, have had to stand on the Bay window roof so I can only assume that those shots were done in a Studio. He'd struggle today as the tiled roof on the bay window slopes.

arkie.jpg

glady then.jpg

gladys.jpg

I have reached Open All Hours in the location book I am sure Terry has posted pictures of the shop before but I am adding one here and also a photo of Nurse Gladys's House today and from the series . It did puzzle me because on any number of shots you see Arkwright take a ladder over the street and lean it against the wall and climb up to Nurse Gladys's "Boudoir" tapping on the window in the hope of gaining access . When you look at the now and indeed then picture, the downstairs front room has a Bay window so Arkwright would struggle to get a ladder near her bedroom window and would , like the episode The Man from Down Under where Granville moves the ladder to the next House, have had to stand on the Bay window roof so I can only assume that those shots were done in a Studio. He'd struggle today as the tiled roof on the bay window slopes.

View attachment 3311

View attachment 3312

View attachment 3313

In early episodes of Still Open All Hours, didn't Gladys live in the house next door, to the left in your photo? I'm sure she did. Check at the scenes at her front door.

The picture obviously comes from Open All Hours and the guy coming out of the house is followed by Gladys . For Open the book states that Gladys started off living in number 34 for series 1 but the owner made alterations so the BBC moved next door to number 32 and hoped the audience wouldn't notice .

So 34 is the house on the left and 32 the house on the right, the photo of the episode is series 3 so Gladys would have moved and would be living in number 32 but as the photo shows it has a bay window with a sloping roof so no way could Arkwright have leaned a ladder against the wall to allow him to climb up even now and the picture from the episode shows the bay window as well [though you cant see if the roof is flat or sloping ] my conclusion is that it must have been staged in a studio.

The picture obviously comes from Open All Hours and the guy coming out of the house is followed by Gladys . For Open the book states that Gladys started off living in number 34 for series 1 but the owner made alterations so the BBC moved next door to number 32 and hoped the audience wouldn't notice .

So 34 is the house on the left and 32 the house on the right, the photo of the episode is series 3 so Gladys would have moved and would be living in number 32 but as the photo shows it has a bay window with a sloping roof so no way could Arkwright have leaned a ladder against the wall to allow him to climb up even now and the picture from the episode shows the bay window as well [though you cant see if the roof is flat or sloping ] my conclusion is that it must have been staged in a studio.

Obviously. There's no way a ladder could get up to the bedroom window with the bay window there.

ERR, mine does.:rolleyes:

When you see one of the episodes when he tries to impress Gladys with a broken box of milk tray and he has his belt around the ladder [to save him falling which it does] there is no obvious sign of the bay window when he falls and dangles by his belt , which makes me think it was done in the studio .

When you look at the bay window as it was and even now the gap between the top of the bay and the sill of the bedroom window is so shallow that you would have to bend the ladder to get it to rest just below the sill .The depth of the bay and the distance it protrudes from the main wall of the house would make it impossible to get a ladder anywhere Nurse Gladys's Bedroom window [which is Arkwright's problem he's been trying to get in there for ages well four series and some Xmas specials] :)

ERR, mine does.:rolleyes:

Maybe you are just a little confused Peri , perhaps you were really just changing the Honey bell in Joey's cage and you were given the wrong ladder by Mrs Peri ,you took a tumble and hit your head on the Cuttlefish and when you came to you thought you'd been climbing a ladder outside your house to clean the upstairs window! :08:;)

Maybe you are just a little confused Peri , perhaps you were really just changing the Honey bell in Joey's cage and you were given the wrong ladder by Mrs Peri ,you took a tumble and hit your head on the Cuttlefish and when you came to you thought you'd been climbing a ladder outside your house to clean the upstairs window! :08:;)
Good Day to you Captain and Good Day to everyone else. It is very strange that you mentioned Joey because last night I dreamt that I was flying around with him on his back and a machine gun mounted on his shoulders and I was shooting all those nasty little Covids. Round and round the houses, swooping around the chimneys, and up into the clouds. "COME ON YOU LITTLE COVIDS," I shouted, "LET ME GET YOU IN MY SIGHTS." You know Captain, we were at it for hours and I made a most frightening discovery, somebody somewhere has certainly got their facts wrong because there are definitely more than 19 of the little buggas. :30::eek2::devil2:

I think you are right there Captain. Here are a couple of pics taken at my home of the bay. You can see that I have to lean the ladder against the gutters so that I could get up to water the plants. I did that until we found a special tap attachment to fit the oval-shaped tap in the bathroom. That allowed me to give the responsibility of plant watering to SWMBO. When the windows needed cleaning we had to take down the hanging baskets so that I could lean the ladder against the wall under the window. The bay has a flat roof. It didn't used to be flat but one day SWMBO tried to stand on it. She is a big girl and when she.....OOOO.:13:..OUCH...:33:...YOW OKAY OKAY I'M SORRY. She was looking over my shoulder..........Ah, all's well that ends well,:28:....

Attachments

• Watering the plants 5  04 500.jpg
    Watering the plants 5 04 500.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 13
  • Watering 2B S 500 04.jpg
    Watering 2B S 500 04.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
Interesting pictures Peri in picture 1 are you escaping or planning to elope ? Maybe not I think you were trying an amorous approach to Mrs Peri in the style of Compo with Nora but as with Nora Mrs Peri in Picture 2 is cooling your ardour with good old fashioned water . Oh Matron!

Interesting pictures Peri in picture 1 are you escaping or planning to elope ? Maybe not I think you were trying an amorous approach to Mrs Peri in the style of Compo with Nora but as with Nora Mrs Peri in Picture 2 is cooling your ardour with good old fashioned water . Oh Matron!
That good old fashioned water made my ardour softer. :frown2:

Not a TV series, but apart from the mock violence Laurel & Hardy was not offensive and had a nice surreal quality at times.

I have been watching the comedy Barbara, no bad language, plenty of Belly laughs, some LOSW cast appear including Auntie in 3 episodes, about £20 for the box set, well worth the money

I'm currently watching Dear Ladies, its probably the only other comedy apart from LOTSW, which has all the gentleness, silliness and the beautiful scenery in equal measure.

Back