From Across the Pond

N

Nan

So, the last of the LOTSW. The only thing that will make this a little brighter will be a DVD set of the entire series, done in both U.K. and U.S.A. formats. Our t.v. shows generally have twenty some episodes a year. The actors in LOTSW must not be making a bundle, but they certainly have always given their all and then some. They're like family to me. I have a framed picture of the entire cast on my computer desk and am ready for 2011 with the LOTSW calendar.

We have more than our share of reality shows and other cheaply made garbage. "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people". Or the BBC, apparently.

So, the last of the LOTSW. The only thing that will make this a little brighter will be a DVD set of the entire series, done in both U.K. and U.S.A. formats. Our t.v. shows generally have twenty some episodes a year. The actors in LOTSW must not be making a bundle, but they certainly have always given their all and then some. They're like family to me. I have a framed picture of the entire cast on my computer desk and am ready for 2011 with the LOTSW calendar.

We have more than our share of reality shows and other cheaply made garbage. "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people". Or the BBC, apparently.

I agree. I do not wish to be exposed to the garbage that passes for US TV. It is so nice to be able to watch shows that reflect high moral values and features gentle comedy such as LOTSW. Many, many thanks to Alan J.W. Bell, Roy Clarke, Bill Owen, Peter Sallis, Frank Thornton, Kathy Staff and all of the others. It is truly amazing to see how much physical things they (or doubles) did! And how many times did have we watched the threesome musing over life somewhere at the top of a mountain -- it is so refreshing to listen to them.

Now for the things that I have been unable to figure out. A jumper is a pullover sweater? Is the orange trim/edging on Clegg's suit intentional or is is due to wear and tear?

As an aside, I have to keep on telling my husband that Roy Clarke DID NOT appear on "Hee Haw" strumming a guitar and telling corny jokes.

Now for the things that I have been unable to figure out. A jumper is a pullover sweater? Is the orange trim/edging on Clegg's suit intentional or is is due to wear and tear?

As an aside, I have to keep on telling my husband that Roy Clarke DID NOT appear on "Hee Haw" strumming a guitar and telling corny jokes.

Jumper, pullover, sweater, (cardigan, jersey, tank top, woolly, woolly pully) - can be somewhat interchangeable terms but maybe a bit dependent on region of Britain and indeed the world. Worth looking at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweater
I suppose the only definitive is cardigan which opens and fastens down the front. And tanktop which is sleeveless and to me is a fairly modern term. When I was growing up down south (of England) it would be a sleeveless pullover. Indeed in those days I do not recall the use of the term "sweater". Jumper, Jersey, Pullover, Cardigan were the standard terms and apart from cardigan were a bit interchangeable. In later days the collective "winter woollies" crept in.

The "orange trim/edging on Clegg's suit" to which you refer is I would suggest thin leather sewn on to make the suit last longer - to prevent wear and tear.

"On "Hee Haw" strumming a guitar and telling corny jokes" - sounds like Val Doonican.

Sleeveless is often known as a slipover, those with sleeves were pullovers when I sold high class menswear and tailoring in the 1960s.We also sold cardigans which as BU states opened down the front and knitted waistcoats with no sleeves.

But that was in the south of England. One term I found used in Yorkshire was a 'gansey' for a jumper. But in the shop they were never sweaters, etc.

Back