Frank Williams

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Very sad news today that one of the stalwarts of Dad's Army Frank Williams the Reverend Timothy Farthing has passed away at 90 . Like many actors that Jimmy Perry and David Croft employed he appeared as a Vicar in Hi De Hi and also a Bishop in You Rang M'Laud they were loyal to actors whose work they knew and appreciated . He had a very long career first role was in 1952 and the last 2017 many many roles but will always be remembered as the Vicar in Dad's Army , a very sad loss.

Very sad news today that one of the stalwarts of Dad's Army Frank Williams the Reverend Timothy Farthing has passed away at 90 . Like many actors that Jimmy Perry and David Croft employed he appeared as a Vicar in Hi De Hi and also a Bishop in You Rang M'Laud they were loyal to actors whose work they knew and appreciated . He had a very long career first role was in 1952 and the last 2017 many many roles but will always be remembered as the Vicar in Dad's Army , a very sad loss.
Met him several times with the Dad"s Army Appreciation Society. A very good man to talk to and interesting every time. Will be much missed by all our Summer Wine members. Will be very sadly missed by all.

Wow Happyjack assume you have visited Thetford and if you did any snaps you would please like to post on this thread . I knew they filmed a lot of the external shots in that area and stayed at the Bell Inn . Its so sad Young Pike must be the only one of the main cast who is still alive and at 76 he is no longer "Young Pike" .

Wow Happyjack assume you have visited Thetford and if you did any snaps you would please like to post on this thread . I knew they filmed a lot of the external shots in that area and stayed at the Bell Inn . Its so sad Young Pike must be the only one of the main cast who is still alive and at 76 he is no longer "Young Pike" .
I live about 15 miles from Thetford so have visited the Museum several times. Last year I went on the Coach trip around the area visiting a lot of the locations including the Bell. (Good Pint):18: The bench outside where Sam Kidd and his mates sat. It was difficult to see some of the sites as the trees are a lot bigger now:44:
I have also met Ian Lavender (Young Pikey) when he did his one man Stan Laurel show in Norwich. Brilliant:37:

I live about 15 miles from Thetford so have visited the Museum several times. Last year I went on the Coach trip around the area visiting a lot of the locations including the Bell. (Good Pint):18: The bench outside where Sam Kidd and his mates sat. It was difficult to see some of the sites as the trees are a lot bigger now:44:
I have also met Ian Lavender (Young Pikey) when he did his one man Stan Laurel show in Norwich. Brilliant:37:
Did anybody spot the deliberate mistake? Read Jeffrey Holland NOT Ian Lavender:33:

Another legend gone.

He didn't appear in Dad's Army until the start of the third series, and by the end he was appearing in every episode.

He also appeared in The Army Game.

He also got the chance to reprise his Dad's Army role many years later in the re-make film Dad's Army in 2016 - although he didn't seem to get offered many good lines in this.

Frank was also a great ambassador to Dad's Army after it finished, often doing interviews and appearances and of course his one man show 'More Tea Vicar?', which he was doing at local venues certainly up until Covid19 struck.

Another endearing character gone. He played a good vicar, didn't he?

As others have said, such a great talent. Along with anyone Perry and Croft touched...

Such a fun show that was based on a horrible time in history - a show that families could sit down and watch happily together.

Another brilliant series that they had to try and turn into a big movie that failed miserably (IMWO).

As others have said, such a great talent. Along with anyone Perry and Croft touched...

Such a fun show that was based on a horrible time in history - a show that families could sit down and watch happily together.

Another brilliant series that they had to try and turn into a big movie that failed miserably (IMWO).
Do you mean the 1971 film with the original actors?

Or the 2016 film with new actors?

I'm glad they made the 1971 film - if they hadn't, we'd all still be wondering what the film would have been like...

Do you mean the 1971 film with the original actors?

Or the 2016 film with new actors?

I'm glad they made the 1971 film - if they hadn't, we'd all still be wondering what the film would have been like...
the original is always the best... The 2016 one I watched about 5 min's of and nuked it.

I was a bit the same about the more recent film but watched it again and quite enjoyed it.

the original is always the best... The 2016 one I watched about 5 min's of and nuked it.

I went on a Tuesday during the day when it was released in 2016 there was one couple and myself . I talked to them afterwards he had so been wanting to see it but like myself he thought it was just awful . The lady had fought tooth and nail not to go but in the end gave up the fight and she enjoyed it :fp:

The 2016 film was a worthy effort, though it didn't fully work.

Some of the cast tried hard to recreate the mannerisms, some of which worked, and from memory, the film seemed to start well.

Then Catherine Zeta Jones appeared and ruined it (can't stand her).

And I seem to remember we see Captain Mainwaring's wife - which was the ultimate sin because the joke was the audience never sees her, and can only imagine her.

I think the film was set towards the end of the war (1944), so by now the character of Godfrey should been seen without a rifle, as early in the series he announced he objected to carrying one.

I also seem to recall they made Corporal Jones into some kind of liar about all his past military experience - which was the ultimate insult.

I saw the film at the cinema once, about a year later I watched about half an hour of the film on DVD, and realised that was enough.

It's wasn't perfect but I found the 2016 film perfectly watchable, I thought Felicity Montagu was quite good in it. To me Michael Gambon didn't work as I always see him as a very straight actor.

To me Michael Gambon didn't work as I always see him as a very straight actor.

Same goes for Tom Courtenay as Jones , Bill Nighy was a shoe in for Wilson given how he presents himself in other roles but I wasn't that convinced other than that well I just didn't enjoy it and though I gave it a second chance it just didn't work for me sadly because I wanted it to succeed . Any opinions on the UK Gold lost episodes different cast again . It also made me wonder if Roy Clarke wrote episodes for LOTSW that maybe were rejected either by him or Alan Bell and co which could be possibly aired with a different cast .

. It also made me wonder if Roy Clarke wrote episodes for LOTSW that maybe were rejected either by him or Alan Bell and co which could be possibly aired with a different cast .
What a great idea CC, I think Toby Jones would make a perfect Compo. He is one of the best actors around at the moment and I he would not doubt play him to perfection!

Back