FOSW Website update Must Read

Thank you for displaying the link very much appreciated. It is fascinating on many fronts , the fee aspect is probably atypical BEEB thinking British Actors / Actresses stiff upper lip sole of discretion would never consider discussing money . Clearly Roy Clarke's ambitions for the shows, from Helen Patrick's viewpoint, is perplexing considering how things evolved with the series over the years. I am surprised he did not try to exert more pressure on the BEEB to fulfil his wishes, after all he held all the cards with the power of the pen .

"Holding all the cards" is an appropriate phrase because it must be like playing poker in terms of trying to influence how shows develop ,from the writers perspective , against pushing too far with the show maker and risking cancellation .

FOTSW was ok, but I seem to remember in 1988 and 1989 each new series of FOTSW was then immediately followed by a new series of LOTSW.

I know I was eager for FOTSW to finish so I could see LOTSW!

I prefered LOTSW you see.

I didn't know lucky I was!

A very thorough and interesting interview. Particularly the parts about Roy Clarke`s motivations at the time.

Very interesting stuff. The money thing isn't a surprise, as the professional approach at the time was that what an actor got paid was kept private. For a while Brian Wilde made more then Sallis and Owen did on LOTSW, for example. Had FOTSW done better and continued I'm sure the actors would have made more. But in general I get the sense that in the UK being on TV is viewed as just another acting job by working actors and by the industry, whereas in the US pay scales for TV are a lot higher.

Clarke being bored with LOTSW seems like the kind of thing that would require further explanation from him. I wonder if he actually told her that or if she just picked up on his excitement for doing something new. If he was interested in moving on then I wonder if there were ever discussions about bringing in another writer, as in the late 80s LOTSW was still producing very good ratings.

I also enjoyed the short piece and pictures from the location. I really admire the effort that has gone into the site.

Back