For Lovers of Steam Engines

Thank you for the photograph Big Unc much appreciated . I have been on a few coach holidays run by National Holidays. I have one coming up in Buxton which includes an excursion to Holmfirth so finally managing a visit . I had a mail from them last week offering a two night deal which included a trip on the East Lancs Railway , the train was to be pulled by the Flying Scotsman. The deal was coach to travel throughout various departure points , one night dinner bed and breakfast in a local hotel and the trip on the railway all for £69 , they had two dates 9th and 16th January 2016 . Unfortunately I could not make those dates but if anyone was interested you could check their site to see if they still have trips available www.nationalholidays.com

A very atmospheric shot from the Swanage Railway which I thought to share.

12122668_883192578395974_3349325605279414397_n_zpsvsmuprzb.jpg

Another from Swanage

Magnificent scenery!!!! Preserved King Arthur Class, Southern Railways 777, British Railways Southern region 30777, Sir Lamiel and i suspect U Class 31806 towing four Southern Region green carriages and preserved Devon Belle Pullman Observation car.

10511353_886084801440085_6338719344504544443_n_zpsrynlougn.jpg

For the uninitiated, full details of the Devon Belle train service can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_Belle

Basically,
The Devon Belle was a luxury express passenger train in England which ran between LondonWaterloo station and Ilfracombe and Plymouth in Devon in the years from 1947 to 1954. The train divided at Exeter Central, the longer portion which included the Observation Car, running to Ilfracombe.

The particular Observation Car shown (there were two to cover the service), No. 14, started life
an LNWRambulance coach of 1918 that was converted into a Pullman car in 1921. It was rebuilt as a Bar car in 1937.

Excellent choice Big Unc, for those of us who have green blood in their railway veins!

For newer readers I will say both my father and grand father were employed by the then Southern Railway when I was born - pre-nationalisation.

Back