For Lovers of Steam Engines

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
1503364_10153046924807225_1634769228070105636_n_zps8ikp8o75.jpg

Main-Line cleared BR Pacific 70000 Britannia at Bentley on Waterloo to Alton line returning to Southall base after sojourn on preserved railway Watercress Line.

Apart from lamp standard and electric lamp on locomotive the shot could have been any time in the last 50 years or so. Not 60 as carmine and cream coaches were not around until ~ 1956/7. Also not sure when self cleaning smoke boxes came in.

We live and learn. Previously I just wondered about the 'SC' designation below the engine's home locoshed plate. Now realise it stands for 'Self-Cleaning'.

Reading the literature am certain the 'Britannia' Class were fitted with the self-cleaning smoke box at original construction. LMS were fitting this labour saving device on new Class 5s in 1945.

The shed plate carried by Britannia, 81C, amuses me. No member of the class was allocated to 81C, Southall when in service. But it is, of course, the home base now for this preserved engine.

Thank you Big Unc, I know nothing about steam engines but I love them and have very fond memories of travelling on those wonderful beasts. I remember going on my own to say with a friend at about the age of 10 a number of times, my parents used to put me next to the Guards van so he could keep an eye on me. I had my favourite comic "The Eagle" ( I was a tomboy and wouldn't entertain girls comics) and I loved every minute of the journey. I don't suppose any parent would do the same now but it was different in those days.

Reading the literature am certain the 'Britannia' Class were fitted with the self-cleaning smoke box at original construction. LMS were fitting this labour saving device on new Class 5s in 1945.

Just to confirm, have found a photograph of Britannia dated 11 February 1952 hauling Royal Train conveying the body of King George V! from Sandringham to London. Loco has the SC designator plate on the smoke box door.

Another Classic Steam Locomotive

11150467_827845457264020_9183402691897131593_n_zpsntm3dfz8.jpg

A former London and South Western Railway, later Southern Railway, preserved T9 Class 4-4-0 (with a Bulleid West Country or Battle of Britain Pacific behind). The T9 class, built between 1899 and 1901, had the nickname Greyhounds. This particular locomotive has just been moved to the Swanage railway who report:

'LSWR T9 arrives for long term visit tomorrow!

Owned by the National Railway Museum and on loan from custodians the Bodmin Railway we are delighted to announce that 30120 will be staying at Swanage until the end of October!'

Wonderful shots of a fantastic piece of engineering , it is incredible that something built well over a hundred years ago is still fully functional and is testimony to the craft of not only those who have maintained this engine over the years but also to the Victorian Engineers who built this locomotive .

For the purist, I think that the second locomotive is Battle of Britain (un-rebuilt), as opposed to West Country Class. The blue nameplate gives it away. Of course, the two 'classes' were identical except in respect of how they were named.

11150467_827845457264020_9183402691897131593_n_zpsntm3dfz8.jpg

A former London and South Western Railway, later Southern Railway, preserved T9 Class 4-4-0 (with a Bulleid West Country or Battle of Britain Pacific behind). The T9 class, built between 1899 and 1901, had the nickname Greyhounds. This particular locomotive has just been moved to the Swanage railway who report:

'LSWR T9 arrives for long term visit tomorrow!

Owned by the National Railway Museum and on loan from custodians the Bodmin Railway we are delighted to announce that 30120 will be staying at Swanage until the end of October!'

I have checked my records and note that I saw 30120 in her working days back in the 1950s. It was probably in the Portsmouth area where I was at school as she was an Eastleigh engine for most of her British Railways days. Makes her 72A (Exmouth Junction) shed code somewhat non-authentic. 71A Eastleigh would have been more appropriate.

Lots of shed plates are less than authentic these days. Many are replicas as the originals were removed and sold on. The record price was in excess of £4000.

71B would be appropriate for Swanage I believe but 71A a good suggestion.

50 Years Difference

Preserved London South Western Railway M7 Class 0-4-4T tank engine built around 1900:

11219349_815928388455727_8375355725802218932_n_zpsga0cb3bb.jpg

50 Years Difference

British Railways 4MT 2-6-4T tank engine built in the early 1950s:

1625520_815567791825120_5322085718023617695_n_zpsgnevoz4g.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of shed plates are less than authentic these days. Many are replicas as the originals were removed and sold on. The record price was in excess of £4000.

71B would be appropriate for Swanage I believe but 71A a good suggestion.

Have been meaning to reply to this for a while. Apologies to all for being such an anorak.

I think that my point was misinterpreted. Note the status of 30120:

As part of the National Collection I think the authentic shed code will be one she carried in British Railway service which means 71A Eastleigh primarily with 70F Fratton a long way back in terms of length of allocation.

Yes, 71B would be appropriate for Swanage (which was a sub-shed of 71B Bournemouth) but she is only there temporarily. The custodians of 30120 on behalf of the National Rail Museum are the Bodmin Railway. Southern Region did not have a shed at Bodmin though 72F Wadebridge just down the track might be appropriate. There was a Western region sub-shed at Bodmin but the applicable shed code for that sub-shed 83E St Blazey would be most inappropriate.

No, to me the appropriate code is 71A, Eastleigh, the code she carried for the bulk of her BR service.

Last edited:
Another lovely photograph from Swanage Railways of locomotive with interesting history:

11695386_838592012856031_7818082171295480506_n_zps3mrzxygn.jpg

Swanage Railway U Class no.31806 is in traffic this weekend. Built in the 1926 as a K class River tank engine and named River Torridge.
Following the Sevenoaks accident in 1927 involving sister locomotive 'River Cray' the entire class were rebuilt into the established U class 2-6-0 tender locomotives.
Our 31806 became a U class in June 1928 and remained in service until 1964.

Great photographs - of course I have green railway blood! My father and grandfather both worked for the Southern Railway when I was born, not the present day Southern but the SR that introduced wholesale electrification in the 1930s - all in green!

When I was young we had M7s on local services, Bulleid Light Pacifics on newspaper trains and others on freight but the majority of the passneger workign was in the hands oif the Motormen who drove the electrical units with designations such as 4-LAV, 2-BIL, 4-SUB and so on.

Great photographs - of course I have green railway blood! My father and grandfather both worked for the Southern Railway when I was born, not the present day Southern but the SR that introduced wholesale electrification in the 1930s - all in green!

When I was young we had M7s on local services, Bulleid Light Pacifics on newspaper trains and others on freight but the majority of the passneger workign was in the hands oif the Motormen who drove the electrical units with designations such as 4-LAV, 2-BIL, 4-SUB and so on.

Remember it well.

Back