Food You Could 'Just Murder'

thomas the bakers! sheesh!

Is this telling us that TTB stands for Thomas The Bakers? I am not sure how we were supposed to be aware of that without its being spelt out.

No Big Unc I don't know how I should have guessed that either!! A simple polite answer to a simple polite question would have been nice too.

back to basic stuff i notice theres a fair chance of a good layer of snow sunday into monday...prompted me to prep a lamb casserole....just in case of course .. ;)

If there's to be snow I'll make a potato thingy. Layers of sliced potato bubbled for 10 minutes in cream and milk, with a bit of garlic, black pepper and salt. When they're done enough plop a layer of it into a baking dish. Fry some bacon and chop it up, slice onion and fry it til sweet and caramelised. Cut up some cheese, something like a Brie or Reblochon. Get a pack of ready cooked chestnuts and break them up.
Sprinkle over the layer of potato some crushed, cooked chestnuts, crumbled cooked bacon, a few slices of fried onion and a slice or two of melty cheese. Say a Reblochon, or here in Wales a Perl Wen. Keep layering until everything is used up, ending with the potato layer on top. Splash in a drop of white wine and bake on gas 5 for about 35 minutes.
I should have put this in recipes, shouldn't i?

If there's to be snow I'll make a potato thingy. Layers of sliced potato bubbled for 10 minutes in cream and milk, with a bit of garlic, black pepper and salt. When they're done enough plop a layer of it into a baking dish. Fry some bacon and chop it up, slice onion and fry it til sweet and caramelised. Cut up some cheese, something like a Brie or Reblochon. Get a pack of ready cooked chestnuts and break them up.
Sprinkle over the layer of potato some crushed, cooked chestnuts, crumbled cooked bacon, a few slices of fried onion and a slice or two of melty cheese. Say a Reblochon, or here in Wales a Perl Wen. Keep layering until everything is used up, ending with the potato layer on top. Splash in a drop of white wine and bake on gas 5 for about 35 minutes.

Now that indeed sounds marvellous! Bring it on!!!!

Yes you should Rhi. That is why it is there. I started the recipe section. Infact I want to try doing it... Is this an Irish recipe???.

No. No Irish as far as I know. I made it years ago for my mother as she wanted something with potatos but not just mash or baked. I just made it up out of what was in the fridge and cupboards.

No. No Irish as far as I know. I made it years ago for my mother as she wanted something with potatos but not just mash or baked. I just made it up out of what was in the fridge and cupboards.

My mother would do things like that the day before payday, it was commonly called "fried whatever" after the fact that it was made with what ever was left ;D We loved it it was never the same twice even if the ingredients were the same :D

made me smile susan, i know exactly what you mean...the day before payday mum used to call our evening meal ...once around the cupboards...but we never went hungry :)

Back