Follow that Bottle.

Does the footpath along the river continue from the bridge just off the car park by the pool all the way into Holmfirth, or is it necessary to go back out to a road at some point? It looks as though the bit of river beside the foundry, just before Bridge Lane, might be unpleasant.

Marianna
I think you're right Marianna,I walked towards Holmfirth but the path veered off at a right angle away from the river,and there did look to be some works there,I don't know if I'd have followed the path it would have taken me into Holmfirth,but it certainly wasn't alongside the river,I went back onto the main road and the short walk into Holmfirth,and the next time I could rejoin it was by the Co-op next to those railings where Marina used to meet Howard,and then it continues past Compos magnetism tree into the town,past the Picturedrome and Nora Batty's,from the bridge in the photo you can walk the other way,away from Holmfirth,that stays beside the river and goes through some woodland,but I don't know where you would end up,so I just walked back after a while,
Btw talking of woodland and river,thats how the town got it's name,
Holme is the ancient meaning for flat lands beside a river (the river is called river Holme)
Firth is the ancient meaning for woodland,
the town was originally built on flat lands beside a river HOLME, beside woodland FIRTH .... HOLME FIRTH.
Pete x

I grew up next to a creek and all of those photos of the footpath and bridge over the creek look so restful and interesting.

I lived there for 2 years in early 80’s, my Dad was the landlord, its also haunted and strange going’s on happen to this day:
Did you see any ghosts Rich? I saw one many years ago at night when I was driving and I used to hear someone walking down my stairs every night. That happened between marriages. I married an American and she soon scared it off. So you see, I have to believe in ghosts. At my time of life, it won't be long before I am one myself. :12::13:

Did you see any ghosts Rich? I saw one many years ago at night when I was driving and I used to hear someone walking down my stairs every night. That happened between marriages. I married an American and she soon scared it off. So you see, I have to believe in ghosts. At my time of life, it won't be long before I am one myself. :12::13:
Am new here mate am not sure how to reply.
Hope i am pressing right options ‍♂️

Nope never saw a ghost but witnessed things of the unknown that defy logic, and i am still looking for answers to this very day.
I took some photos of paper cut outs that made front page news. There’s a cheeky looking Nora Batty in 1 photo pretending to be the ghost.

Its definitely worth a read if you like the subject.
Maybe i could post photos ??
Not sure where to send ??
Still finding my way...

Incidentally the famous 3 popped into our pub 1 day after filming my Dad once said.
We use to see filming crew a lot art’ of kitchen window looking darn to white horse.
We had quite a view at top floor in pub.

Hello Rich,

If you want to post any photos , once you have added the words for your post you click the attach files and select the photos from your file system whether that's your PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone whatever you are connecting to the summerwine site with . When you select the file it will show a preview of it wthe photo with the narrative insert and thumbnail which is highlighted . Due to space constraints on the server the Administrators request that all members select Thumbnail to keep the date levels down to a minimum . You just continue with clicking attach files until you have posted all the photos you want to add . Hope this helps :)

Am new here mate am not sure how to reply.
Hope i am pressing right options ‍♂

Nope never saw a ghost but witnessed things of the unknown that defy logic, and i am still looking for answers to this very day.
I took some photos of paper cut outs that made front page news. There’s a cheeky looking Nora Batty in 1 photo pretending to be the ghost.

Its definitely worth a read if you like the subject.
Maybe i could post photos ??
Not sure where to send ??
Still finding my way...

Incidentally the famous 3 popped into our pub 1 day after filming my Dad once said.
We use to see filming crew a lot art’ of kitchen window looking darn to white horse.
We had quite a view at top floor in pub.
Do like the Car Rich, is that a Golf GTI?

I think you're right Marianna,I walked towards Holmfirth but the path veered off at a right angle away from the river,and there did look to be some works there,I don't know if I'd have followed the path it would have taken me into Holmfirth,but it certainly wasn't alongside the river, ...
Last fall after of bit of shopping at the Co-op, I went down the stairway near the handicapped parking area and walked along the river toward that foundry. After climbing the stairs up to road level and crossing Bridge Lane, I saw a couple of people walking down the lane that runs next to the foundry, so I guessed that it might be a public right-of-way. It came out at the side of the cricket pitch and continued to a turn leading to the river, then alongside it to the iconic bridge that was used in so many episodes.

I didn't cross at that bridge, but continued to the footbridge leading across to the gym and indoor pool, then up to Huddersfield Road to walk back to the town center. Just past the second bus stop along the way, the walking route was blocked by a flooded sidewalk from the previous day's rainstorm, so I went back to the bus stop and waited only about five minutes for a bus to the town center.

The foundry is J and JW Longbottoms, https://longbottomfoundry.co.uk/. It's been on that site since the 1870s, so it's a significant part of Holmfirth history.

Attachments

• PA270069.JPG
    PA270069.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 10
I unsuccessfully tried , despite trying several times and with Pete's wonderful then and now pictures with the show's scenes in, to persuade the Tourist Information Office people to amend their leaflet which showed places of interest in Holmfirth associated with the show [which was effectively the Cafe and Nora's House] to include that bridge , the cricket ground [ because of Audrey Craig and Nora] , Daisy Lane Books amongst other sites all to no avail .

The return mails were all full of promise and gratitude but nothing concrete happened . I have not been to Holmfirth is a few years is the Tourist Information office still there and has the guide leaflet changed in any way , I suspect not .

Back