foggy's ties

gremlin

Dedicated Member
can anyone think of episodes when foggy isn't wearing a tie...I can think of two, the great boarding house caper when the trio are in their nightclothes and foogy on the beac, the second is ...where theres smoke theres bbq...when foggy spill beetroot vinegar on himself and has to borrow a shirt from howard... :)

At the end of Stop that Castle where Foggy is seen wearing some sort of Medievil soldiers uniform.I suppose t could be argued that he "might" be wearing his shirt and tie beneath but it isn't visible to the camera.

Hector

In A Merry Heatwave he is seen wearing a cravat instead of a tie, and I think there were other occasions when he wore a cravat, can't place the episodes though .

Cleggy and Truly were rarely seen without ties also. I don't recall Truly in anything but his very tasteful 3-piece suits.....he always reminded me of a banker or lawyer. Why do you think they dressed so "formally" everyday when they had no place in particular to go and were in no hurry to get there??

Cleggy and Truly were rarely seen without ties also.

the only times I can think of with Clegg without a tie was "The Charity Balls" when he is in football gear and "It's Never Ten Years" when he is shaving in his mirror

You make a good point Dennis. In the real world it would difficult to imagine an ex policeman lying around on the hills in his three piece pinstripe. If they are anything like retired policemen in this country you would more likely see them out on the golf course or poncing around Malahide yacht club. But it's not real life of course and artistic licence makes it seem credible somehow. Clegg in many ways was quite a dapper dresser, always wearing a suit when the occasion arose and is even seen sporting a bowler hat on several occasions.

I was watching one of the earlier episodes recently, off hand can't remember which one, but Clegg is doing his ironing and Compo gets him to iron his tie. The tie itself is as stiff as a board in places and when Clegg hands it back ironed, Compo proceeds to put it around his waist to hold his trousers up. Don't often see Compo wearing a tie, but perhaps a lot of the time he would claim that he was always wearing one, just not where you would expect to see it.

and hail summer morn or thereabouts when cleggy is checking out his old camping gear in an open collarless shirt.. :)

The tracksuits( including Compo's smoky grey one :)) when they were training for barrel rolling in ROLL ON. ;D ;D

The tracksuits( including Compo's smoky grey one :)) when they were training for barrel rolling in ROLL ON. ;D ;D

if I remember correctly Clegg had his tracksuit done up to the top so you couldn't tell if he had a tie on or not but Foggy didn't have a tie on, although I could be wrong on that one

....it did it again!!! I am trying to type & describe a person that works in a bank (a place where they keep money). For some reason it fills it with xxxx's.

if I remember correctly Clegg had his tracksuit done up to the top so you couldn't tell if he had a tie on or not but Foggy didn't have a tie on, although I could be wrong on that one
Just had a look at that section again Darren, Foggy kept his tracksuit done up well but I could see his collar so he may have had a tie on :-\

Just had a look at that section again Darren, Foggy kept his tracksuit done up well but I could see his collar so he may have had a tie on :-\

thanks for checking Dick, wouldn't surprise me if Foggy kept his tie on underneath seeing it was his military tie which meant a lot to him (the military side of his life)

One of the reasons Cleggy would have always worn a tie is because he wore lose collared shirts.

If you were not going to wear a tie then you did not bother with a collar but often had a muffler around your neck. A lot cheaper as a stiff collar cost 6d to launder in the 1960s which would have been 3/- (15p in more modern coinage) for six during a week which would be an expense you might care to do without. To set that in context that amount of money could get you a meal in a cafe.

So Cleggy would have worn the tie; also in some parts of the country there is a reluctance to change clothing style. I must admit that I am still wearing much the same sort of clothes as in the 1970s - although not the stiff collars these days! At about £5 per collar for laundering and starching that is a very expensive option. Over four times more costly than 50 years ago compared to my income! ??? ??? ???

....it did it again!!! I am trying to type & describe a person that works in a bank (a place where they keep money). For some reason it fills it with xxxx's.

B a n k e r? I initially thought you meant a barrister but obviously not enough characters in the word that you had tried to type.
I had to space the letters to avoid the same problem you are having.

bxxxxr

It seems to be censored out for some reason.

Back