Foggy's Surname

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It was more than one episode where Foggy's surname was spelt differently, the obvious one Was The Dewhirst of Oglby Hall, have you spotted the other one by chance

The Misspelling of his name is quite ironic given he was a Corporal Signwriter in the Army [ except of course in Foggy's mind believing he was at least a General]

In The Flag and Snag double bill, Foggy even has to spell his name when he is collecting his parcel.

Man; How do you spell Dewhurst?
Foggy; D-E-W-H-U-R-S-T. How do you spell it?

Not only is this a brilliantly piece of sarcasm, and confirmation how Foggy spells his name, it also implies there should be no other way of spelling this name.

It seems 'Dewhirst' was only used in Foggy's second stint in the show.

I don't like the spelling of Dewhirst, it seems to posh for Foggy.

It would be interesting to see Roy Clarke's original scripts for the spelling used in all of the mentioned episodes.

I can only conclude someone involved in making the 90s episodes had their own ideas how Dewhust should be spelt.

Was Foggy's first name ever sorted out? I mean that at least two different first names are mentioned. Was this just an oversight in script writing?

Was Foggy's first name ever sorted out? I mean that at least two different first names are mentioned. Was this just an oversight in script writing?

"Walter" dominates my memory to the point where I can't remember the other one. In First of the Summer Wine, I believe that his mother called him "Graham", but there's no point in expecting continuity between FOTSW and LOTSW.

I think it's 'a kink in foggy's niblick' they find a trunk with the initials C O D to which he says corporal Oliver dewhurst. And Walter being the generally accepted first name. I'm thinking the one where they decide to walk dogs

I think it's 'a kink in foggy's niblick' they find a trunk with the initials C O D to which he says corporal Oliver dewhurst. And Walter being the generally accepted first name. I'm thinking the one where they decide to walk dogs
It was Cleggy who said Corporal Oliver Dewhurst.
As you rightly said, the issue was sorted out in Odd Dog Men.

A Festive reposte:-

On the Fifth day of Xmas .................... Five Gold rings , Four Colly birds , Three French hens , Two Turtle Doves and Oliver Dewhirst up a Fir Tree.

On the cover of the 1983 edition of the novel it is spelt Dewhurst.

Thinking about COD - could have been a joke as COD is CASH ON DELIVERY and elsewhere in the dog walking business it is Sir Walter C Dewhurst OBE at one point when he is walking the corgis ...

Back