Foggy's first run or second - which was best?

His first run was better by far. Plenty of classics in that period.

His second run had a couple of good years at the start, but the mid 90s was for my money the worst period of LotSW, the show became formulaic (open with Compo irritating Nora, Foggy boring a stranger with war stories, Howard interrupting Clegg with some plan to see Marina), and just not as funny. Thankfully the arrival of Frank Thornton injected a new life into the show.

Plus I'm not sure I like the character as much in the second run, the Walter Mitty fantasies just don't do it for me. In his first run he was very much the leader of men, coming up with schemes to get involved in, but in the second run, i just find him a lot more of a pathetic, rather sad character.

I think sad and pathetic is a bit harsh on poor Foggy, I felt on his second run he was a bit more happy go lucky and less 'stiff' so for me it is his second run. Its funny how peoples views differ as the 1990-97 summer wine era is my favourite era. With (for me) lots of great episodes, stop the bath (with Foggys speaking clock impression) defeat of the stoneworm, the glory hole and the most powerful eyes in West Yorkshire to name but a few. Not forgetting the christmas speicals of that era as well.

I even loved his war stories as well and boring everyone to tears, he even convinced himself they were true ;D ;D and it gave a good episode in ordeal by trousers with Foggys wonderful Highland dance at the end ;D. I was sad to see Foggy go in 1997 but Truley was a very good replacement and his debut in there goes the groom was a triumph.

For me there is no question that the earlier period was better. I know I am on record as never having been a Foggy fan. I generally found his character irritating and mildly embarrassing. I suppose it had a lot to do with the fact that I met a lot of folk like him in real life. In contrast, I cannot recall anyone who truly measured up to being a genuine Clegg double.

Ahem, I wish to speak up for the genuine Clegg doubles - I even have checked cap and a Pakamac!

I enjoyed both Foggy era,s he was an infuriating man but he was a born leader of men ,he could send anybody round the bend or to pulling the cover over his hole in the road.Compo responded in a more positive way to Foggy ie total obstruction and a realisation that he was doomed to be the fall guy everytime.Clegggy managed to avoid many schemes but took part with his version of enthusiam ,his fear of hight kept him out of many activities ,a whole foot off the ground cripes!Foulton Mckay would not have been a good choice for this role and Brian Wilde created Foggy in his own way.

Fulton mackay was the choice so people say!

Fulton Mackay was an option when Brian Wilde was dithering over contracts in the early 80s, but in 1990 when Michael Aldridge had to leave, Fulton had been dead for 3 years (he passed on in June 1987)

Oh my, I am enjoying this conversation. All make excellent points. Count me in the Foggy I camp. In his second go round he did annoy a little bit with the war stories. Perhaps Oldtimer's Disease set in. lol. Yet my husband is a new viewer and he finds the war stories quite comical, laughing out loud. I am on the side of the captive listener and hope for their quick escape. Poor dears. DJinUK, I agree Foggy became a li'l bit of a sad character, but he had no identity crisis - shine your shoes and wear a tie. I sometimes fast forward past his war bits. Shhhhhh. Don't report me.

Yes I agree very interesting comments, I have favourites in both periods, but I too have been known to jump over the army stories !! but that is just me. There is no doubt Brian Wilde did produce some stunning performances. There is one thing I notice about myself, as a Clegg person I have to confess when watching I tend to focus on him more than the others do those who have a favourite as it were find themselves doing the same ??

Oh, Norm, thank you for saying what you did. I am always looking at Norm's expression. Now, we all know that everyone finds Nora fearsome ~ even Eli. But in Spring Fever Cleggy gave as good as he got with Nora. I am glad they made Clegg more fearful after that. He is more sympathetic. Foggy is indomitable. And Compo is the child in all of us. Foggy's first run was the best. But in so many shows there are bits that I wait for and in the second go round they are helping Compo find Audrey Duffield. Wesley balks at driving them so far out. "That's miles from here!" Foggy's timing was perfect, "Yeah, that is why we want the lift." A simple thing but I love it.

Probably his first run, he didn't seen quite the same when he returned somehow, although some of the episodes were good but overall, i think i preferred the earlier Foggy.

G ; )

agree that fulton macay could have been a good addition to the programme, as for his scottish accent he could have been like truly and his london years...or maybe he could have adopted a yorkshire accent, that would have been interesting...robert fyffe did a tremendous yorkshire accent and he's as scottish as you can get !!

I am wondering if Brian Wilde had mellowed out during his second run, and if having his son on the staff was a stabilizing influence? Just curious. Also, does anyone know if it was easy to get him to return for the second run or did they have to put a rather large carrot on a stick.

I doubt very much that having his son around would have made a difference Adanor, basically because the job his son done would have all been in the editing room so he wouldn't have been on location with him, I know this because when I was on location with them Alan J W Bell said summat about Andrew and basically he said he needs to do all his work when we get back to the studio, so as I said I doubt his son being on the staff would have made much influence

Back