Foggy

Ch74

Just started watching series when Foggy came in it. I notice Ivy was extremely aggressive always shouting and Nora too was the same especially with Wally. They mellowed over time.
Some very funny episodes. Think the ones with foggy now the best ones

There are exceptions I met up with some people I worked with for a day out on Friday and one of the ladies , who I remember as laid back at work, is now Victoria Meldrew . We had a meal and we told the waiter not to bother cooking her steak , she will have it raw .

Just watching the one when Howard and Pearl enter. Pearl has a very strange accent indeed. Can't believe how young marina looks too but then again it's 30 yrs old

Just watching the one when Howard and Pearl enter. Pearl has a very strange accent indeed. Can't believe how young marina looks too but then again it's 30 yrs old

A lot of the actor's accents "mellowed" over the years. I think "Pearl" was trying maybe too hard with her Yorkshire accent but it settled eventually.:roflmao:

Juliette Kaplan lived in South Africa until the age of 10, so she probably had to really concentrate just to consistently speak the British received pronunciation that she would have learned in drama school. The West Yorkshire accent is so unique that It's no wonder that early on she sounded unconvincing. It's possible that all those years of chatting with the very local owners of the hotel in Huddersfield where most of the cast lodged, as well as with other local people, helped make the accent easier for her. I stay at that hotel when I'm in Huddersfield, and I have to listen carefully to understand the owners' accent.

Cant really get into the Seymour ones. Nowhere near as funny as foggy. I'll take my original comments back, Foggy is much better than Hobby. Superb to watch

Cant really get into the Seymour ones. Nowhere near as funny as foggy. I'll take my original comments back, Foggy is much better than Hobby. Superb to watch
I am a firm fan of the Seymour Years, particularly Getting Barry Higher In The World. But that's just my taste ,it wouldn't do for us all to like the same. Hobbo is/was an acquired taste not everyone liked him at first. He may grow on you as you see the later episodes more. As for Edie's posh accent that gets more funny the more you listen.:smile::08:

I am a firm fan of the Seymour Years, particularly Getting Barry Higher In The World. But that's just my taste ,it wouldn't do for us all to like the same. Hobbo is/was an acquired taste not everyone liked him at first. He may grow on you as you see the later episodes more. As for Edie's posh accent that gets more funny the more you listen.:smile::08:

I originally believed Hobbo was the best there has been but watching Foggy changed my mind. He's outstanding

" Can't stand here gossupin."

Having watched some of the Seymour episodes this weekend, I think what makes them more likeable for me is the fact that underneath the script words is something that they call camaraderie.( they seem to be matey) In some of the Foggy episodes, to me at least , there is an antipathy between them. They are consummate actors but it doesn't come across as very friendly.This may not go down well but it's my opinion.:cautious::rolleyes:

Its well known that in fact that relations between Bill and Brian were not good but it did not carry over into filming and eventualy they had separate changing rooms, Brian was a difficult person to deal with but it all came out okay on screen.

Its well known that in fact that relations between Bill and Brian were not good but it did not carry over into filming and eventualy they had separate changing rooms, Brian was a difficult person to deal with but it all came out okay on screen.
As I said Chris in my opinion it shows sometimes on screen.:thumbsdown:

As I said Chris in my opinion it shows sometimes on screen.:thumbsdown:

Which comes across on screen? Are we talking subtle bits

I know foggy was Conservative and theres a few scenes where compo shouts I bet he votes Tory -when someone drives past ignoring them

I also read that Brian wasn't into political correctness (which I agree with him there) but didn't expand on it in the book

Which comes across on screen? Are we talking subtle bits

I know foggy was Conservative and theres a few scenes where compo shouts I bet he votes Tory -when someone drives past ignoring them

I also read that Brian wasn't into political correctness (which I agree with him there) but didn't expand on it in the book
It seems subtle to me , Peter and Bill seemed to get on well but not so much with Brian. As I said it's just my opinion. You obviously see it differently which is your prerogative !:)

It seems subtle to me , Peter and Bill seemed to get on well but not so much with Brian. As I said it's just my opinion. You obviously see it differently which is your prerogative !:)

Not at all my friend I just never looked for it. Now I know I'll watch out for it

I never thought I'd say this but having watched all the series now the Russ Abbott last 2 series seem rushed and not quite as great as I first thought

Back