France.

Wife and I have been going over almost yearly since
about 1995 when I retired from IBM. First trip started in
London for a few days, then stayed in B&Bs working our
way up to Thirsk, Yorkshire to see where All Creatures
Great and Small started. Stayed in Gayle and Hawes to see
the Wensleydale cheesery.

When we discovered LOTSW (while staying at a B&B
in Bainbridge) we added Holmfirth to the schedule.

Since then most every Spring we fly into a London
airport, rent a car, and drive up to Yorkshire. Lately
we confine our "stays" to Holmfirth (LOTSW), Haworth
(Brontes), and Hawes. But do a lot of walking and driving
on the moors, in the dales, and thru all the lovely small
villages along the way.

How many times have you been over there Marianna? Over 20?:wink:

I've been to the UK at least once a year since 1994. Except for the first trip, they've all been for at least two weeks. Some of those trips have also included a week or so on the Continent.

All that travel has meant that I haven't been able to afford to do anything purely for fun at home unless it was free, and for the last 20 years I've lived in houses that were badly in need of restoration/renovation, although not in need of repair/maintenance. I've kept up with that only because the consequences of letting it slide would cut into the travel budget even more. I can get away with that level of frugality at home only because I live by myself, so my priorities aren't making anyone else uncomfortable.

Keep on dreaming and planning. You'll get there!

Marianna

How often do they do the bike race over there? Always thought in France.

Yes, the TdeF is really run in France, mostly in the mountains.

But in the last some years, it often starts in another country.
A few years ago, started down in southern UK. This year
the TdeF starts in Yorkshire!!!! Gonna go right thru H'firth,
Huddersfield, Haworth, Holme, over Holme Moss, etc.

Can't wait to download and watch the stages. But the roads
in Yorkshire are so narrow, and crowded in the villages, and
so remote outside the villages, that I believe you will get
a much better view on TV than in person. For example, I think
you will need a permit just to get a car down the road from
H'firth thru the Holme Valley to Holme, and will NOT be allowed
up on the Holme Moss.

I've been to the UK at least once a year since 1994.

So where do you fly from/to? We get a direct flight from RDU
(Raleigh/Durham) to Heathrow (used to be Gatwick) then rent
a car to drive up the M1 (ugh!!) to Yorkshire.

Thinking about getting another flight from Heathrow to Manchester
next time. Then maybe a train to Huddersfield and a bus to
H'firth???

chuck

So where do you fly from/to?

From ELM (Elmira-Corning Regional Airport) to either DTW (Detroit) or to PHL (Philadelphia). From DTW to LHR. From PHL to either LHR or MAN (Manchester). Hard to credit, but the entire trip to LHR, including layovers, takes less time via DTW and the total fare is usually lower, than flying via PHL. I'd give my eye teeth for a direct connection to JFK from here that was timed to connect with early evening flights to LHR or MAN. We've rarely had a JFK connection at all, and when we have had, it has been scheduled for folks traveling to New York for the day.

Marianna

From ELM (Elmira-Corning Regional Airport) to either DTW (Detroit) or to PHL (Philadelphia).

Curious about time?? We board the AA plane here at RDU at about
6:00 pm. Take off, have a drink, dinner, a movie, and breakfast
and land early 6-ish am at Heathrow. Then it's another 4-5 hour
drive from Heathrow to Yorkshire.

How does yours compare???

Curious about time?? How does yours compare???

9:50 PM USAirways departs PHL, arrives LHR 10:00 AM. That's the only direct flight from PHL and it arrives much later than I like. The flight from ELM to PHL takes an hour and six minutes.

or

6:26 PM Delta departs DTW, arrives LHR 7:05 AM. There's a later flight, too. The flight from ELM to PHL takes an hour and twenty minutes.

The DTW route involves more air time but slightly less total time because the layover at DTW is shorter.

Marianna

And after landing at Heathrow (izzat LHR??) what then??

Trains, buses, rental cars???

Going north, the M1 seems very quick. Coming back,
and it is longer because we go up to H'firth, but return
from Hawes), seems to take forever. And we have to
stay overnight in the H'row area to catch the morning flight\
home.

And after landing at Heathrow (izzat LHR??) what then?? Trains, buses, rental cars???

Yes, LHR is Heathrow.

I often begin with some time in London. The few times that I've gone directly on and haven't spent any time there on the way back I've felt deprived. When I leave London, it's by train. If my first stop is for an HF holiday, the head office will have facilitated a shared taxi at a set fare, lower than the meter fare. If it's Nuneaton or Huddersfield, there are always taxis standing at the station to take me to my lodgings.

Delta uses LHR T4, so I stay at the YOTEL on the landside mezzanine the night before my return flight. It's a bit pricey, but worth it for the convenience, especially since my flight is usually at about 9:00 AM. I haven't flown on USAirways for such a long time that I'd have to do some research about lodgings, as they use T1. I tend to prefer the Premier Inn chain for airport lodgings when there's no conveniently located YOTEL.

Marianna

Very informative

This has been a very interesting topic. Lots of informative and valuable information about your personal experiences on travel and lodging in the area. I am printing it for future reference if I am fortunate enough to make the trip.

Thanks Marianna and Chuck.

"If my first stop is for an HF holiday, the head office will have facilitated a shared taxi"

huh? What's an HF holiday??? What head office???

I'm from Arkansas and just returned from my eleventh trip to England, each with several days stopover at the Old Bridge in Holmfirth. I agree about the transportation. Trains, buses and walking will get you just about anywhere you desire. We have been able to locate many, many filming sites in Holmfirth and the surrounding villages and countryside.

Back