First of the Summer Wine DVD Release

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I am expecting my copy of Series 1 next Tuesday,cannot wait to see the quality,anyone else got this on order

I am expecting my copy of Series 1 next Tuesday,cannot wait to see the quality,anyone else got this on order

eli thingy on the other forum said he had got his - direct from Acorn which I thought a bit naughty as I guess it was them embargoed it until 6th June from likes of Amazon from whom I ordered mine.

Yep got mine on order. I hope its better than the one I have now which was recorded off uk gold.

Yes, I would be pleased to hear about the quality of
these discs. I have an older DVD copy evidently
recorded off BBC Gold, originally to VHS I think.
Very watchable, but some few quality problems.

Ah the quality question, it should be good as opposed to normal satellite transmission's under the UK brand,as their transmission bit rate and resolution is pretty low, about 2/3rds of what say the BBC pump out on their non HD channels, of course the higher the bit rate the more it cost and it is only the BBC that can afford to turn out all this current junk TV in the best possible quality, where as non BBC channels want to pump out as many channels for the same cost,so they turn the wick down,if they turn it down enough they can squeeze in a plus 1 hour channel,transmit the same stuff,get even more advertising revenue and it cost them nothing,we of course are starting to notice this more and more,this is due to us getting much better quality TV's and satellite receivers

Sadly this applies to DAB radio and you can hear this if you compare it to a good fm broadcast,we have a few years yet before they switch off fm transmission's and they will probably start advertising DAB HD for that better quality sound which we used to get from fm

Remember just because it states it is digital, it does not mean it is better, it should be as good if not better,but it gives folk the chance to mess with it a lot more and just give you what they can get away with

Ah the quality question, it should be good as opposed to normal satellite transmission's under the UK brand,as their transmission bit rate and resolution is pretty low, about 2/3rds of what say the BBC pump out on their non HD channels, of course the higher the bit rate the more it cost and it is only the BBC that can afford to turn out all this current junk TV in the best possible quality, where as non BBC channels want to pump out as many channels for the same cost,so they turn the wick down,if they turn it down enough they can squeeze in a plus 1 hour channel,transmit the same stuff,get even more advertising revenue and it cost them nothing,we of course are starting to notice this more and more,this is due to us getting much better quality TV's and satellite receivers

Sadly this applies to DAB radio and you can hear this if you compare it to a good fm broadcast,we have a few years yet before they switch off fm transmission's and they will probably start advertising DAB HD for that better quality sound which we used to get from fm

Remember just because it states it is digital, it does not mean it is better, it should be as good if not better,but it gives folk the chance to mess with it a lot more and just give you what they can get away with
>:( Succinctly put sir!! >:(

My copy arrived this morning and a quick scan through shows the picture quality is not bad, not up to todays HD quality but still very watchable,Terry

FWIW -- The first series of FOTSW is available from TheBox.bz
both in DVD format and (my preference) as a set of AVI
files (much smaller footprint).

As the air raid sirens play over West Yorks, we watched the
last episode of the First of the Summer Wine. Clarke
is a genius, and this is one great series. If you have
not seen it, please do so.

I haven´t ordered it yet, I have seen episodes on youtube and elsewhere some time ago. Now that you say "air raid", I always feel a slight shudder watching FOTSW, because for me of course it is very strange, being German, it´s even a bit painful. I remember one scene with Peter as Clegg senior switching the radio on, and Hitler´s voice came out (not even I can understand him, nobody talks like that here!!!). I always feel guilty and sorry in these scenes and I´m afraid I can´t enjoy them so much because I can´t stop feeling like that, I know it´s silly. Of course I do enjoy the rest, but somehow I can´t really watch it, feeling relaxed. It´s too real.

I haven´t ordered it yet, I have seen episodes on youtube and elsewhere some time ago. Now that you say "air raid", I always feel a slight shudder watching FOTSW, because for me of course it is very strange, being German, it´s even a bit painful. I remember one scene with Peter as Clegg senior switching the radio on, and Hitler´s voice came out (not even I can understand him, nobody talks like that here!!!). I always feel guilty and sorry in these scenes and I´m afraid I can´t enjoy them so much because I can´t stop feeling like that, I know it´s silly. Of course I do enjoy the rest, but somehow I can´t really watch it, feeling relaxed. It´s too real.

I feel sure you would enjoy "A Foreign Field" by Roy Clarke.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foreign-Fie...ef=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1309166591&sr=1-1

Yes, that is a wonderful movie. Also by Roy Clarke,
I believe. Especially sympathetic treatment of the
German woman.

Thank you, it really sounds I should watch it sometime. I´ll think of it the next time I order something on Amazon. And even written by Roy Clarke!

LOL, Terry, it reminds me of that bomber command stuff from that lunch last year ::). Typical, I always seem to stumble into situations like that.

I just recieved the series one DVD of "First of" this morning, so as you can imagine, i haven't done much in the way of work today....drank quite a bit of tea and the odd biscuit or three but not much work ; )

The quality seems fine, although the intro's are missing, which is no big deal as i usualy fast-forward them anyway, whatever i'm watching.
It's been a while since i've watched FOSW, i taped them all when they were first broadcast, back in`88 but as the tapes have been played to death and a bit of mildew has attacked them, i've not bothered to watch them for probably five years or more, so it was nice to settle down and be reminded what i've been missing.

Now for series two.

G ; )

Back