First Jobs

First couple of years out of school I was drivers mate in a 32 tonner (18 wheeler) driving up to the farms around Norfolk to collect potatoes (all hand ball), then taking them to Covent Garden. Then when I got my class one I was the driver of said/same 32 tonner.

Lots and lots and lots of water has passed under the bridge since those heady days. I have since spent years in and out of further education, I drove National Express coaches all over the Country and the past couple of decades I put the further education to good use by running my own web hosting / web design company.

Lots and lots and lots of water has passed under the bridge since those heady days. I have since spent years in and out of further education, I drove National Express coaches all over the Country and the past couple of decades I put the further education to good use by running my own web hosting / web design company.
Wow! so I'm guessing you have a full HGV & PSV licences then? I'm guessing there isn't too many people who have both!

My first proper job was as a draughtsman for a precast concrete company which I did for about six years. I had a school job previously with the same company. The job involved trying steel cages with wire. Other than working in a sewer it must have been the dirtiest job going. I went home rust coloured head to toe every evening. At the time we had no shower, just a bath and by the end of the summer there was a permanent rust coloured tidemark on the bath.

Absolutely correct Barry !!!!.....the best days of my life !!!.
Travelling all over the country and Europe dressed the the stylish sportswear of the day watching the best team I have ever seen with a gang of young scallywags !!!.....we got up to some high jinx I can tell you !!!
They were the best team in Europe by a country mile and would have won the European Cup had it not been for Heysel.
We won the league in 85 and 87...but the "other team" from my City won 9 games in a row and pipped us on the final game of 86 !!!....it was heart breaking Barry !!!....even worse because Gary Lineker scored 41 goals that season for us !!!.
I concur with the Southall claim.....the best I have ever seen.
I actually started watching Everton when I was 7.......so just think of the years of lows and lowers I have witnessed !!!....as I stated before...now you know why I am called "moodyblue" !!!

My first responsible job was delivering newspapers before school started. I remember the best thing was collecting money from the customers every two weeks and getting tips.
There was a farmer who always tipped with milk and cream so my mom was always happy about that.

My first job was waiting tables at Pizza Hut. I was originally hired as a delivery driver but they didn't like to send girls out at night because it was a dangerous area so if I was working a day shift, I would take deliveries but since I mostly worked night shifts, I mostly waited tables. I loved it! I loved the people I worked with and the customers.

One time, this group of teenagers came in and they ordered pizza but they also ordered a salad with no toppings and no dressing. I was like "So, you just want a plate of lettuce?" And they were like "Yes." And I was like "Ok, sure, I'll bring that right out." So I brought them the lettuce and then went to take care of another table but I kept noticing that one of them kept putting pieces of lettuce in a sock he had and I thought that was a little weird but it was whatever. Then at some point, I walked by while he was doing it and noticed that there was a little ball of fur in the sock and I just had to stop and ask what was with the sock. He showed me and it was a sugar glider! He was feeding her the lettuce! Lol I got to pet her and she bit my finger but that was ok because she was adorable! Lol I just told them not to let the manager see her and everything would be ok. Meeting the sugar glider made my whole night and they tipped really nicely so I liked them!

Captain C got me thinking about first jobs. Other than a paper round my first ever job was working in a chicken factory. I got paid £1.25 an hour and it was a pretty grim job, they used to kill the chickens there too and it was freezing as all the rooms had to be at fridge temperature. My job was typically cutting the chicken breasts into strips or getting the meat off the legs (which still had the claws on) I remember the supervisor used to come in and tell us off if we'd left too much meat on the bones! I used to come home covered in plasters where I'd cut my fingers on the sharp knives. Interesting fact was I worked directly for Ranjit Boparan who is now the owner of 2 sisters chicken empire and worth an estimated £500m, I used to have to collect my wages from him!

Suffice to say I decided it wasn't the career for me as it was really hard graft on your feet all day and I was very glad when I finally left!!!

What was your first ever job and memories?
Speaking of first jobs, one of my first jobs was reading newspapers. Yes, I was paid to read newspapers, from all over the States and of course, this was way before Google, back in the late '70's and early '80's. All very interesting.

Back