First bicycle

amos hames

Dedicated Member
My first bike was a bike called a Budgie and then I had a Raleigh Tomahawk and then a Chopper(Remember these).Some of my friends had bikes called boxers or Grifters. I then had a Bmx bike which I loved and then went years without a bicycle until I bought a mountain bike a couple of years ago. Can anybody remember their first bike. Your comments please

An ancient (even when I got it) Rudge with 28 inch wheels (compared with standard 26 inch) in 1953, year I went to Grammar School. What I cannot remember is when it was replaced with a brand new Raleigh (I think) complete with a Sturmey Archer 3-speed gear and cable brakes. That could have been any time between 1953 and 1958 when I went into sixth form.

I remember when I wanted my first one, I didn´t care what it looked like, but I demanded Donald Duck be on it! And my parents found one, it was silver-grey, quite dull, but it had 2 or 3 Donald Ducks on the frame and I was happy! That was around 1985 and I was 4 or 5. My second was a second hand bike in pink, then one in turquoise, then something that was white at the front and purple at the back. But I miss that Donald Duck one. It was even stolen once, by other children, and after a few days somebody took it to the police station and I got it back. I remember how sad and lost I felt without it and how happy I was when it came back.

I wasn't allowed one :'(
I was deemed to clumsy, but I used to pinch my brothers Chopper ( Yes I remember those well :D) I was on my backside more than the seat but I did love trying to ride it ;D

My brother was never really into bikes he had a five speed racer but now he is bike mad spends loads on bikes and gear .

i remember in about 1959/60 my first trycicle when iwas about three years old, a triang, tiny, yellow and red with solid tyres...looked dead tired and scuffed and well used when it finally went...then last year went to coventry motor museum and there it was...well at least one identical and in the same condition, was flabbergasted but full of nostalgia.

I had a secondhand 'sit up an beg'. I have no idea of the makers name. When I left school I bought an Elswick in a nice maroon colour.

My first bike was a self made one made up of parts I could find on scrap yards on neighbours sheds. Worked well as far as I can remember around 1956.

Back