favorite one-off characters

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
I'm talking about ones that appeared in 1 episode, maybe 2 at the absolute most, and that was it.

Armpepper (Ballad For Wind Instruments And Canoe)
the tramp (Big Day At Dream Acres)
Ludovic (Cheering Up Ludovic)
Sam (Getting Sam Home)
Aubrey (How To Get Rid Of A Cousin)
Doggy Wilkinson (The 2nd Stag Night Of Doggy Wilkinson)
the crossing guard (Who's That Dancing With Nora Batty Then?)

Feel free to add to this list!

Gunnershaw, the Prophet Bickerdyke's disciple.

With few exceptions, though, my favorite is the one-off in the episode I've seen the most recently.

which is?

Last night's episode was "Was That Nora Batty Singing?" There isn't an actual guest, just a brief appearance of Eva Stuart, with only a few lines. She played the alarmed librarian to a T. Having worked in a public library, I've had similar experiences, except that there was no panic button, and no security guard to come to the rescue.

I believe the most recent episode I've seen with a proper guest appearance was "The Last Surviving Maurice Chevalier Impression" with Gorden Kaye as Maynard Lavery. He was thoroughly convincing as the disconcerted TV host.

I liked the fellow that was trying to sell magazine subscriptions to Nora Batty at Norm and Compo's urging. I remember looking him up and nicely surprised to find he was a standup comic.

Dougie Brown was his name he starred in a show called the Comedians with, allegedly , the top stand up comedians of their day . He is still on TV but only earning money from appearing in advertisements .

The Vicar in the pilot. Why didn't they keep him???

yes loved his line when taking a drag "I suppose I shouldn't be trying to live forever - not in my line of business ..."

also Clegg's description of what is popularly known as frock by those who wear them - heavenly commissionaire's suit

Some of my fav's are:

- Maggie Ollernshaw, liked her ever since I first saw her in the Lovejoy series long ago . Thought she did a great job with the Love Mobile and as the wife of the guy seeking Elvis. Also was glad to see her as Clegg's Mom in First of the Summer Wine.

- Reggie Unsworth, whom supposedly Compo snuck away to exercise his ferrets with often. Bit of in-continuity with her though. Don't ever recall the lads commenting on Compo being off somewhere on a regular basis when they would stop by to see him wondering where he was. Only time like that I recall was when Blamire asked where Compo was lately and Clegg commented it was 'that time of the year and the sap was rising'. Then we find Compo waiting for Liz Smith to arrive via bus.

- Shirley Field who played Eva in Eva's back in town. Thought she could have really livened things up with Alvin or even the occasional 'put Howard on the spot' scenario with Pearl and Marina. Would like to have seen her in a few more episodes.

-Bradley, Bill's brother in law. Great ending to the episode with him laughing at the guys in their sinking 'inflatable animal feeder' from Auntie.

-The Swan Man from Ilkley. He also returned for a few episodes one where he tried to escape from chains like Houdini. Had a brother in law that did not say much. I do think he also drove the barge that pulled along the swan in the Ilkley epsiode.

Started to think of a bunch of others but don't wish to get too carried away and will leave it at this for now.

Back