Favorite Compo Skit

Scrumpa

There as so many hilarious Compo skits, I don't know where to begin. I enjoyed EVERY initial skit with Compo and Nora - I wondered how many were scripted and how many were ad lib - brilliant.

Today I watched another great Bill Owen skit in Wellies to Wetsuit - where Compo spends some quality time in the magazine shop. I about lost urinary control. Only Compo would think nothing of "strolling" into a shop while wearing wetsuit and fins, then lean against a bookshelf... then dig "deep" into his wetsuit for change for a paper... then just as calmly stole out as though it were something he did every day. Bill showed such comic timing, poise, and use of props - fine form. OMG! I'm still giggling.

Can we discuss our favorite Compo skits (not episodes - rather his skits within episodes)? And why we like them?

I gotta say, I really miss Bill Owen - he was the master magician for me.

CW - I'm chuckling recalling the skit your refer to. Very funny, indeed.

I also loved all the "Listen, Margarets" mini-skits when he'd get into somebody's face about something.

And how about the times he'd follow Ivy into the kitchen - wait for it... wait for it... WHANG-CRACK - "that clears yer guitar!"

I also loved all the "Listen, Margarets" mini-skits when he'd get into somebody's face about something.

And how about the times he'd follow Ivy into the kitchen - wait for it... wait for it... WHANG-CRACK - "that clears yer guitar!"

I always thought it was his cattarh that was cleared ...

[/QUOTE

It was

Someone already mentioned one of three that come to mind for me. It is his singing performance from "Last Surviving Maurice Chevalier Impression". I especially like how the performance starts with a close up of Nora's photo.

Another one for me is from The Ice-Cream Man Cometh. Not only is he flying down the hill on the bicycle with bad brakes, but he is doing so with the duck-call whistle, interrupting the innocent bystanders having a picnic.

I also love the funaral/viewing scene where Compo comes in hiding his ferret and then it gets loose. I am ashamed for forgetting the title because it is such a classic.

And while I am on a roll, I will also agree with GrampaB on Wellies to Wetsuit with the magazine shop scene.

Pure classic Compo!

I am sure I will think of a few more in the next few days.

:D I LOVE THE BITS WHERE THEY ARE LEAVING THE CAFE AND HE SAYS" JUST A MINUTE I FORGOT SUMMAT!" HE GOES BACK INSIDE ,YOU HERE A SCREAM AND THEN HE COMES BACK OUT WITH A GRIN AS WIDE AS THE RIVER , SWAGGERING LIKE HE OWNED THE PLACE!! ;D ;D

:D I LOVE THE BITS WHERE THEY ARE LEAVING THE CAFE AND HE SAYS" JUST A MINUTE I FORGOT SUMMAT!" HE GOES BACK INSIDE ,YOU HERE A SCREAM AND THEN HE COMES BACK OUT WITH A GRIN AS WIDE AS THE RIVER , SWAGGERING LIKE HE OWNED THE PLACE!! ;D ;D

On a similar line in Beware the Oglethorpe when he draws a face on his knee and Ivy and Nora catch them.He runs for the door followed by Cleggy and Truly,does an about turn as though he's forgotten something and grabs Nora for a quick kiss and cuddle.

In the Frozen Turkey Man whe says to Sid "I'm just going to get whacked on the head with a tray" and goes through the back. The look of puzzlement of Sid's face is a picture, it all goes quiet then there is a piercing scream, he gets whacked and does his "by eck that certainly clears your Cattarh" line. Ivy chases him and says "you cant hear him creeping up in those wellies". A smashing little scene.

Someone already mentioned one of three that come to mind for me. It is his singing performance from "Last Surviving Maurice Chevalier Impression". I especially like how the performance starts with a close up of Nora's photo.

Another one for me is from The Ice-Cream Man Cometh. Not only is he flying down the hill on the bicycle with bad brakes, but he is doing so with the duck-call whistle, interrupting the innocent bystanders having a picnic.

I also love the funaral/viewing scene where Compo comes in hiding his ferret and then it gets loose. I am ashamed for forgetting the title because it is such a classic.

And while I am on a roll, I will also agree with GrampaB on Wellies to Wetsuit with the magazine shop scene.

Pure classic Compo!

I am sure I will think of a few more in the next few days.
The funeral ep was Day Of The Welsh Ferret

I had to look cattarh up in the dictionary - I think you're right. Makes far more sense than "guitar" does. Thanks for increasing my vocabulary.

Thanks everyone for adding to this thread. Every post has brought a chuckle.

Compo in the church in "Inventor of the forty Foot Ferret" tickled me. I also enjoyed him in the Vicarage with Seymour in "Go with the Flow." Anytime Compo was in a church was funny.

I had to look cattarh up in the dictionary - I think you're right. Makes far more sense than "guitar" does. Thanks for increasing my vocabulary.

Thanks everyone for adding to this thread. Every post has brought a chuckle.

Compo in the church in "Inventor of the forty Foot Ferret" tickled me. I also enjoyed him in the Vicarage with Seymour in "Go with the Flow." Anytime Compo was in a church was funny.

Clear the Cattarh was a topic here a few months back. Having never heard the term, I thought it was British slang and asked what it meant! So Compo actually knew some medical terminology.

Clear the Cattarh was a topic here a few months back. Having never heard the term, I thought it was British slang and asked what it meant! So Compo actually knew some medical terminology.

In the north, problems with lungs and breathing were commonplace and thus cattarh was well known - any industrial occupation used to be dusty and this could cause problems with nasal passages. I once accidentally inhaled some sulphur dioxide (in my chemical days) and that gave me cattarh like symptoms (although I was in Cheltenham at the time) ...

In the north, problems with lungs and breathing were commonplace and thus cattarh was well known - any industrial occupation used to be dusty and this could cause problems with nasal passages. I once accidentally inhaled some sulphur dioxide (in my chemical days) and that gave me cattarh like symptoms (although I was in Cheltenham at the time) ...

Thanks for clarifying Barmpot. You have become the official Yorkshire interpreter for us Yanks!

Most chemists sell cattarh sweets, I think there made by Potters.
Anyway getting back on topic, I love the bit were Compo dances on the trays in Down Hill Racer and the bit were he's trying to turn round on ski's, I can't remember the name of the episode.

Most chemists sell cattarh sweets, I think there made by Potters.
Anyway getting back on topic, I love the bit were Compo dances on the trays in Down Hill Racer and the bit were he's trying to turn round on ski's, I can't remember the name of the episode.

From Wellies to wetsuit?

"Spot on" Chuffer. Did you ever notice how often Compo volunteers to do crazy things while at times he'll exclaim emphatically something like, for example, "I'm not going into the water" (spoken slowly for effect - just before he gets thrown into the water - or whatever else it is that he swears he won't do)? I laugh every time.

Back