Fading into the limelight

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
While I`m waiting patiently for Alan Bell`s book I have gone back to Peter Sallis`s book (for the umpteenth time) I found it very heavy going early on with a lot of emphasis on his early days in the Theatre. I started reading again last evening having left the book down for many months,this time I feel I`m getting into it properly,still resisting the temptation to skip forward to the summer wine years.I wonder what other members feel about the book?,has anyone found it difficult to read at the start? As Peter is my favourite actor from the series I feel I owe I to him to persevere and finish the book!

yes onyxxxxx I have found it heavy going as well. In have picked it up and put it down several times and I still have not reached the LOTSW chapter. But I will plod on.

I loved it. But by now you all know I'm nuts about Mr Sallis, so I'm a bit one-eyed when it comes to him!

you have just reminded me that I have it on my kindle, totally unread.
I will have to start it asap

I too found it heavy going, it is more a list of things he has done. I wanted a bit more flesh on the bones. Compared to Bill Owen's autobiography, it was a bit boring.

Peter is a very private person. I too was a bit disappointed that his personal life (aprt from childhood bits) was left out altogether, but by know I can understand that. We mustn´t condemn him for it.

I think it is a standard reflection on the work that an actor has done and the life in theatre and TV.

I think we have to respect people's wish for privacy but this means little of what really motivate Peter comes through - I have gleaned more from the occasional radio interview he did (I have at least two recorded from Radio Leeds a long time ago on tape, somewhere).

I've got Bill Owens book, but not read it yet. Also I have Kathy Staffs book. I haven't read that yet either. Something for me to turn my attention to in the next weeks, perhaps.
As for Mr Sallis' book, yes, you're right, it's virtually all an account of his professional life. I suppose thats what he thought we'd all be interested in. Mr Sallis seems, as **** says, to be a very private person so we must accept and respect that. Although I'm with you, Sue, I'd love to know a little more about the man behind Cleggy!
Enough for me that he played the part so perfectly for all those years. :)

Have read all the books mentioned, and as a massive fan of Peter Sallis, I have to say I did enjoy his book the most. Peter is a living legend and deserves more recognition for his work, particularly appearing in 295 episodes of the World's Longest Running Comedy Series.
Am looking forward to reading Alan's book, as its always nice to go behind the scenes of our favourite comedy. Am hoping to pick up a copy of it in London on the weekend...fingers crossed!

We'll have to get Peter Sallis convention going, Welshy! Invite everyone from the forum to Neath for a weekend!

I too found it heavy going, it is more a list of things he has done. I wanted a bit more flesh on the bones. Compared to Bill Owen's autobiography, it was a bit boring.

Is Bills book any good?

I found it excellent. He had such a varied career. From working with Katherine Hepburn, through to the 'Carry On' films, war films, and on to 'Last of the Summer Wine', with a lot of other stops along the way. It was Interesting.

Back