Fading into the Limelight - Peter Sallis

Sorry about the typing errors - that's predictive text for you! I'm going to switch it off!:02:

I still get them without predictive text! For some reason I can not get spell check to work on this part of the machine! I usually only notice when I have just posted.

Hence you may notice that many of my posts are edited.

I'm in the throws of getting my passport renewed, text a friend that I was in Asda came out Asia with predictive text , got a response to say I may struggle to get back in the Country without a passport and will have to take an entrance interview and would probably fail.

I'm in the throws of getting my passport renewed, text a friend that I was in Asda came out Asia with predictive text , got a response to say I may struggle to get back in the Country without a passport and will have to take an entrance interview and would probably fail.
How does ASDA become Asia?

I think most algorithms are up the creek - I shall blame Tony as he is the only computer expert I know around here :42::42::42:

I have read a number of autobiographies and it seems most actors do not like to dwell on any one area too long; they want to show their range of performance and the variety of roles tackled.

Peter Sallis's book is classic theatrical autobiography. If you want detailed SW material then Alan Bell's and Andrew Vine's books are the main two.
Happened to catch a note in Judi Dench's bio that Peter Sallis appeared with her in Fiddler on the Roof and he was noted for making off the cuff comments to the audience while the stagehands worked to get the sticky scenery to move.

Are they the only two worth reading Barmpot?
They give the most background detail. There is the Ross and Bright books (25th and 30th anniversary ones) which have some detail.

There is one by Webber which is just bits of scripts stuck together and one by aul Ableman which again, picks up bits of the scripts but adds little.

One of the best of the others is Summer Wine Country by Roy Clarke which is captioned photographs with an introduction in the form of a letter from Norman Clegg. That probably gives as much background and extra details as anything else.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Wine-Country-Roy-Clarke/dp/1854714724

available used from 1p - if you check it out you will see that it has been reviewed by RT -that is me!

One of the best of the others is Summer Wine Country by Roy Clarke which is captioned photographs with an introduction in the form of a letter from Norman Clegg.

A lovely book! The captions are written in Clegg's voice, but much more philosophical than even his most philosophical lines in the scripts. This leads me to conclude that, in some respects, Clegg is Clarke's alter ego and that those captions express the Norman Clegg he might have written if LOTSW hadn't been comedy.

A lovely book! The captions are written in Clegg's voice, but much more philosophical than even his most philosophical lines in the scripts. This leads me to conclude that, in some respects, Clegg is Clarke's alter ego and that those captions express the Norman Clegg he might have written if LOTSW hadn't been comedy.
I think you are right and I believe it may be Andrew Vine who stated as such in his book.

But Summer Wine Country is one of the best books - as it adds to the series not merely recycles them as Pal Ableman's does.

Roy Clarke was asked in an interview, which of the trio was most like him. He responded, Norman Clegg, as he says the things I would say.

Thanks to you all for your feedback on these books. I'll certainly have to buy them. Has anyone read any of Nella Last's diaries for the Mass Observation Unit during WW2 and later years? She was the one portrayed in 'Housewife 49' - the BAFTA award winning drama.

Thanks to you all for your feedback on these books. I'll certainly have to buy them. Has anyone read any of Nella Last's diaries for the Mass Observation Unit during WW2 and later years? She was the one portrayed in 'Housewife 49' - the BAFTA award winning drama.
Always interested in the work of MO. Have some of their films on video - somewhere.

Well her diaries are so easy to read and highlight the social changes going on in the WW2 years and afterwards - especially for women. She was acutely aware of this and forecast how she felt women would take their place in society after the war. She saw how she had changed during the war from a timid nervous woman to a capable and competent woman that helped to run a successful Red Cross shop that raised funds for parcels for POWs.

I would recommend her diaries to everyone interested in our social history. Also, if you haven't seen Housewife 49 try to catch it next time it's on. Nella was portrayed by the late, great Victoria Wood and won a BAFTA for her portrayal!

Back