Ey up all!

Bora Natty

Dedicated Member
I've been gone a few days, a friend called from my college days and for some reason, he wanted to go camping. He said another couple of guys I went to school with, were coming too. I thought, I'd hadn't seen these guys in ages, lets do it. Off I go a 150 miles or so into the mountains a little about Williamsport, Pa. I think I've reached the age, where camping for me is a class A RV, lol. I had an mattress and a sleeping bag, but still, not that comfortable. It got down to 8/9 Celsius. Needless to say, glad to be home and my bed. Hope everyone had a great week!

A couple of my friends bought tickets for Glastonbury a couple of years ago and wanted the full experience of camping so on their return and our first meet up post festival was much anticipated . Imagine my and other friends total disdain when the scurrilous pair had hired a Winnebago for the weekend :mad: the cheating so and so's, after a few days of ribbing from us all we eventually wound down the tirade . :)

A couple of my friends bought tickets for Glastonbury a couple of years ago and wanted the full experience of camping so on their return and our first meet up post festival was much anticipated . Imagine my and other friends total disdain when the scurrilous pair had hired a Winnebago for the weekend :mad: the cheating so and so's, after a few days of ribbing from us all we eventually wound down the tirade . :)
Might as well have booked a hotel!

I think they call that "Glamping", short for glamorous camping. High luxury but still somewhat close to nature.

Don't think it was a thing back then but maybe Clegg should have tried that with his wife instead of using a tent.

I hope all the discomfort was compensated with the catchup with friends :)
Yes it was, we had a good time, did some fishing and of course drank a few pints and caught up on the years. We were told to look out for bear, mountain lions, coyote, etc, but thank heaven, we never saw any. I didn't think about taking a rifle and they did the same. I guess we would have had to hypnotize them down, like Foggy did in The Most Powerful Eyeballs in West Yorkshire. I'm sure that would have ended well.. :13:

Oh and being in my bed was heavenly last night..

Mountain lions and coyotes anywhere near the Williamsport area? Their territory must have moved east since I last paid attention to that kind of information. I can imagine bobcats. They used to prowl around our farm in Schuyler County, NY. Bears, as well. My grandniece posted a photo of one in the woods outside her back door in a suburb of Elmira, NY, at about the time they woke up from hibernation this spring.

I'm not all that familiar with the Williamsport area. The furthest south I've traveled via road is the PA Grand Canyon (Wellsboro). Any further than that, before American Airlines ceased service to my home airport, I used to fly to Philadelphia to transfer to a flight to London. Now the connection is Delta at the Wayne County airport near Detroit, Michigan.

We had a bear show up on the football field at the high school here in Westminster. I've seen Coyotes a couple of times here too. A friend who lives outside of Chambersburg, Pa, which is a bit under 25 miles from Gettysburg, has a mountain lion or cougar, whichever you prefer, on his property. He's seen it multiple times. Williamsport is mountainess country and we were a few miles above it.

Closes we got to wild animals was when my daughter was 9 and on a school trip to Wales she rang me in a panic saying that wolves were circling the hostel! Me being me screamed at him in doors to get in the car and head for Wales, he eventually managed to talk me down. Turned out to be a couple of foxes!

Marianna, I heard a bear attacked a child in New York state yesterday. I hope he's okay..
In North Castle, a hamlet in Westchester County. It's an area of woods and fields, even though Westchester is the next county north of New York City. There are prosperous-looking houses set back in the woods, well away from the road and out of sight of each other. An open invitation to wildlife.

Here's the local news story: https://abc7ny.com/child-injured-bear-attack-westchester-county/13684893/

A cub, I wonder where mama was? Maybe he was just old enough, he was out on his own? Thank heaven it wasn't an adult. This time of year, they're trying to fatten up for hibernation...

My sister lives not that far from Washington, DC and sadly lost her cat to a coyote who reportably ranges up and down the creek. In roughly the same area, someone "encountered" a deer with their car. It took a long time for insurance to come through because they did not think that deer inhabited the suburbs.

They're all over the place here. I hit two at the same time years ago. Bow season starts here soon, goes through rifle and black powder also..

Last edited:
Back