Explaing the visual changes in the series

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
I've been dissapointed with all the wrong info going around, especially on Wikipedia, so here I am to set the record straight.

From viewing all the series up to Series 15 (but have look through opening titles on series 16 and 17 which I just bought today), and being technical minded, here are how the episodes were shot each series:

Series 1 to 12 were Videotape for Indoor's, 16mm Film for outside, except for Getting Same Home, Uncle of the Bride and Big Day at Dream Acres which were completly on film, most likely 35mm. The earlier series, probably until the early to mid 80's were shot on 2" Quad videotape, then probably went to Type C 1".

Series 13 was the only series to be completely shot on Video-tape. Most likely Type C 1" videotape.

Series 14 & 15 were shot on film, but assembled and edited to videotape, with opening and closing credit captions still done on videotape which is why they are slightly blurry, due to things not going "digital' till a few years after this series was shot

1993's "Welcome To Earth" was the first to be completely on film, including the opening and closing title captions. Although it looks like it too was transfered to videotape, although as an already completed ready for broadcast episode

Series 16 was completely on film and the first to be done Digitally and in Widescreen. The title captions like "Welcome To Earth" were done during the film chain.

Series 17 is a mix. Everything shot on widescreen film like series 16. But the opening and closing title captions have been done in the digital stage for "Leaving Home Forever, Or Till Teatime", "The Glamour of the Uniform"and "The First Human Being To Ride A Hill". The rest like Series 16. Bicycle Bonanza and A Leg Up For Xmas are oddly not in widescreen and is like series 14 & 15.

This probably won't be of use to anybody, But I thought i'd at least put the info out there.

I've been dissapointed with all the wrong info going around, especially on Wikipedia, so here I am to set the record straight.

From viewing all the series up to Series 15 (but have look through opening titles on series 16 and 17 which I just bought today), and being technical minded, here are how the episodes were shot each series:

Series 1 to 12 were Videotape for Indoor's, 16mm Film for outside, except for Getting Same Home, Uncle of the Bride and Big Day at Dream Acres which were completly on film, most likely 35mm. The earlier series, probably until the early to mid 80's were shot on 2" Quad videotape, then probably went to Type C 1".

Series 13 was the only series to be completely shot on Video-tape. Most likely Type C 1" videotape.

Series 14 & 15 were shot on film, but assembled and edited to videotape, with opening and closing credit captions still done on videotape which is why they are slightly blurry, due to things not going "digital' till a few years after this series was shot

1993's "Welcome To Earth" was the first to be completely on film, including the opening and closing title captions. Although it looks like it too was transfered to videotape, although as an already completed ready for broadcast episode

Series 16 was completely on film and the first to be done Digitally and in Widescreen. The title captions like "Welcome To Earth" were done during the film chain.

Series 17 is a mix. Everything shot on widescreen film like series 16. But the opening and closing title captions have been done in the digital stage for "Leaving Home Forever, Or Till Teatime", "The Glamour of the Uniform"and "The First Human Being To Ride A Hill". The rest like Series 16. Bicycle Bonanza and A Leg Up For Xmas are oddly not in widescreen and is like series 14 & 15.

This probably won't be of use to anybody, But I thought i'd at least put the info out there.

This is all very well but I have said it before on this forum. What difference does it all make?

For example, there is a lot of reference to episodes being shot on film. Film might be fine for a cinema film projector but you cannot transmit it by radio waves. At least video tape produces a transmittable signal.

The above was written by someone who describes himself/herself as technically minded. But writing as an engineer in the electronics field, though more into systems, computer systems and submarine navigation systems, but particularly one who believes that as an engineer we must make technology clear for the layman, I just wish the above had made clear the implications to which it referred. To me as an engineer it meant nothing.

I didn't mean to get at anyone here at all, and was more just providing some info for any of the "tech heads" here. Sorry If I offended you :-[

Back