Ever Decreasing Circles

Foggy Entwhistle

Caught a repeat of an episode of this 80s sitcom the other day, I'd forgotten how good it was, comedy in a claustophobic goldfish bowl close. Richard Briers, Penolope Wilton and Peter Egan all showed excellent performances.

Fantastic show, we loved it. Its being repeated on Gold in the afternoons. I think we all know people like that :D

I was never sure if I liked Martin, or hated him. I loved Howard and Hilda though.

I think it was on in the late 1980's, loswsla1. I must say, Richard Briers is a brilliant actor. Remember how menacing and threatening he was in Morse? I loved him in Eric Sykes 'It's Your Move' with Sylvia Syms. Hilarious little film.

I think it was on in the late 1980's, loswsla1. I must say, Richard Briers is a brilliant actor. Remember how menacing and threatening he was in Morse? I loved him in Eric Sykes 'It's Your Move' with Sylvia Syms. Hilarious little film.

Four series from 1984 to 1987 with a Christmas Special in 1989. Director/Producer for first two series both in 1984 was Sydney Lotterby (LOTSW) and thereafter Harold Snoad (Keeping Up Appearances.

A much gentler time which I miss. From Wikipedia:

"An undercurrent through the series was the unresolved sexual tension and flirting between Paul and Ann, but nothing ever happened between them, despite many opportunities and given Paul's moral standards, which are shown on several occasions. Despite Martin's foibles, he clearly adores Ann, and although Ann is often infuriated by him, she obviously loves him, allowing the couple the ability to ride out even their most difficult disagreements."

In modern television Ann and Paul would have been in bed together in no time. I did find Martin so irritating at times and generally loathed Paul.

I loved Howard and Hilda too, but I loved the friendship between Martin and Howard.
The few scenes where Martin goes over board and insults Hilda (Only mildly like) and Howard jumps to her defence are so funny.

Yes Big Unc much gentler times I miss them too. :)

Back