Euro 2024

Yes watched a few games thought we were abjectly average but still have 3 points. I just think we overhype our chances. I could cheerfully punch anyone who utters the words " it's coming home" or sings Sweet Caroline or Three Lions.

I always find it funny when people have such a dislike for our national game......
I know and understand about the "overpaid prima donnas" argument but it brings such joy and happiness to so many people......from supporters of Premier league teams [like me and The Captain] to fans of clubs who may get 30 supporters per game.
It brings universal pleasure to billions.
It makes you happy when skies are grey.
I do not know another sport that has such ridicule compared to the sport I know and love....[I have had over 50 years of lows and lowers watching Everton.....but I still go home and away with lads I have known for 40 years]
X!

The problem is we will be going round in circles for ever my Cornish friend...
It is estimated that throughout the U.K. that there is approximately 2 million people who watch "their side" every week......there are those [a small minority] who seek to confront other supporters with the same mindset as theirs [this has been the same since the teddy boys......Mods v. Rockers eras].....but fortunately the vast majority of fans throughout our country [U.K.] simply wish to follow their team.....through thick and thin....they will lose together and win together.....as I can testify.....it is a bond that lasts a lifetime.
X!

I always find it funny when people have such a dislike for our national game......
I know and understand about the "overpaid prima donnas" argument but it brings such joy and happiness to so many people......from supporters of Premier league teams [like me and The Captain] to fans of clubs who may get 30 supporters per game.
It brings universal pleasure to billions.
It makes you happy when skies are grey.
I do not know another sport that has such ridicule compared to the sport I know and love....[I have had over 50 years of lows and lowers watching Everton.....but I still go home and away with lads I have known for 40 years]
X!
Being someone who actually played for a womans team back in the stone age, I can honestly say I don't see it as a sport now, over the years its lost something, we can't get a really good team together because a lot of the best league plays go home and play for their home country team and the money is obscene and it's taken the sportsmanship out of it but that's just my opinion.

Being someone who actually played for a womans team back in the stone age, I can honestly say I don't see it as a sport now, over the years its lost something, we can't get a really good team together because a lot of the best league plays go home and play for their home country team and the money is obscene and it's taken the sportsmanship out of it but that's just my opinion.

its like so many - they are no longer sports. they are business.. franchises!... and with that comes corruption and more $... Also when certain nations get involved, it all turns to excrement.

Sadly i have doubts in many sports now... diveball... I mean soccer, cricket, union, league, car racing, bike racing the lot.. Theres too much money involved - outside the game too..
It also doesnt pay for some clubs/teams to eternally lose.. nobody supports/sponsors them which becomes no good for anyone.

Not only the players - over here, the part time umpires earn stupid money... This is for 1x 80 minute game a week and 2 training sessions.
AFL field umpires reportedly earn between $120-130k a year.. Boundary and goal umpires receive less, generally starting at around $20,000.

Good morning everyone...or should I say "Guten Morgen !!!".......just a little message from your Scouse roving reporter.....having just returned from Germany.....
As I stated in my previous posts.......any trouble is caused by a very very tiny minority.....I witnessed approximately 65000 England fans over 2 days...everyone mixing with all nationalities...[especially the Germans].....no trouble.....lots of daftness...lots of singing and dancing.....police in high spirits with the England fans....and 1 ARREST......a man letting off a smoke flare.....
On the pitch has been [at times] very difficult to watch......BUT.....you have got to be in it to win it.....the football Gods have been very kind to us !!.....[penalty wins...last minute winners...final minute equalisers]....and although every other nation may heartily disagree....FOOTBALL MAY WELL BE COMING HOME !!!!.......goodbye all.....or should I say......AUF WEIDERSEHEN !!!!!!.... [PET !!!!].....[the words in the brackets are for The Captain !!!!].
X X X !!!!!

Brilliant Mr Blue did you tell Mrs Blue you were just popping out to buy a paper , that was two weeks ago , having skedaddled off to Germany , hopefully you didn't score an own goal and returned with a copy of Bild tucked under your arm :)

They are broadcasting games here in the U.S. on public (non-pay channel) airwaves so it's easy to watch. Not really tracking who's where but enjoyable to watch.

As always the main complaint here is the lack of scoring. It looks like both teams wear themselves out only to end up 0-0. This leads many here to say the game is "broken" (video game term) since what really decides the match is a "shootout" which only takes a few minutes.

Which leads me to my inflammatory/unpopular opinion of the day: Why don't we start the game with the shootout and then play the rest of the match as usual? That way both teams have an earnest start. The team with the lower score is more aware of how much effort they'll need to muster. The game will end either way with some kind of score that represents the end or regular/stoppage gameplay as opposed to a last-minute handful of "gimmies".

Let the stoning begin : ) Just my 2p.

I did indeed Mr.Ferret.......and just to confuse our "non football" Summerwine family members.....the flag bears the crests of BOTH EVERTON AND RANGERS !!!...
Now here is where it gets a little complicated for our worldwide family......RANGERS ARE A TEAM FROM GLASCOW....SCOTLAND !!!...[I can see lots of heads being scratched !!!!!]......BUT they are loyal to the crown......so actually SUPPORT ENGLAND !!!!!!!....they are a "LOYLIST" club......SO.....fans of ENGLISH clubs tend to support RANGERS as well as their own side...[I TOLD YOU IT WAS CONFUSING !!!!.]
Many fans of English clubs [particularly Chelsea] have strong bonds with Rangers and both sets of fans regularly travel north and south to watch each others team !!!.
X !

Last edited:
Captain !!!!.....regarding Mrs.Blue....any excuse to leave home is good enough for me !!!...she was so ugly as a child she had FROSTED GLASS IN HER INCUBATOR !!!!!..
Luckily for me [or maybe unlucky for me] she is a "MOODYBLUE" as well..... so she she understands my urge to travel to a match actually thinking positively about the outcome !!!!,as opposed to trudging to an EVERTON match HOPING for the best...but FEARING the worst !!!.
X!

Back