Electrical Entwhistle

firstly there was no "h" in his name, it was just Entwistle.
now about entwistle, i kno a lot of people on the other forum liked him and some on here do but 4 me i just didnt enjoy his character, i kno the characters in summer wine were a bit far fetched but 4 me entwistle just pushed it 2 much 4 me and his character got worse when he joined the trio IMO, at best he shud have been a guest star which might have become recurring once or twice every year, but this is just what i think, i kno there are people who love his character and thts fine with me, he just werent my cup of tea

now about entwistle, i kno a lot of people on the other forum liked him and some on here do but 4 me i just didnt enjoy his character, i kno the characters in summer wine were a bit far fetched but 4 me entwistle just pushed it 2 much 4 me and his character got worse when he joined the trio IMO, at best he shud have been a guest star which might have become recurring once or twice every year, but this is just what i think, i kno there are people who love his character and thts fine with me, he just werent my cup of tea

Thanx Eli and by the way there is a w at the end of the word Know :)

Thanx Eli and by the way there is a w at the end of the word Know :)

thanks 4 tht, i was just in half word half txt mode lol ;)

I liked him, I think he fit in quit well. He was so differant from the others that he gave the show a new dimension, he made a refreshing change.

He was alright, not perhaps the greatest or strongest incidental character in the history of the show, but a decent replacement for Wesley. Never, ever good enough to be part of the mian 3, but that wasn't his fault. A good support character, same as Alvin, Wally, Wesley etc.
Overall he did his job well, but shouldn't have been written into a main part, but I think was needs must rather than by design.

Entwistle was a reasonable replacement for Wesley, but by the final two series he had replaced Clegg, given similar lines and doing Cleggisms. Entwistle is no Clegg.

I also liked him. He was a different character. Sometimes a bit annoying with trying to sell his washing machines. I alsom feel that his wife and Billy's wife would have been good friends. The way they were mentioned in the show seems like they were very much alike.

He had some very clever and witty one-liners, and somehow managed to tie a lot of them into attempts to sell refurbished washing machines! Only Entwistle could get away with that! That said, I wonder if he actually sold a washing machine to anyone? Can anyone recall if that ever happened?

I liked Entwistle and loved his Eastern Wisdom.
I think my favourite Entwistle moment was seeing him run across the road in front of Cooper and Walsh with his invisible dog.

No, as far as I know he never sold a washing machine. Strange enough we never once did see his shop. I could just see Compo walking on top of his washing machines... LOL

I liked Enwhistle too. I, at first, had to get used to him, realized he was the replacement for Wesley and his truck. He had great funny lines, he seemed to be the only one, besides Clegg, who's lines had a way of making fun of his and his friend's own life situations without coming out with any overtly mean comments. He knew how to be cleverly insulting. He was a Wesley replacement at first and morphed into a Clegg replacement.

So now Entwistle is going to be Head of BBC! A consummation devoutly to be wished!

See that ridiculous salary!

I liked Enwhistle too. I, at first, had to get used to him, realized he was the replacement for Wesley and his truck. He had great funny lines, he seemed to be the only one, besides Clegg, who's lines had a way of making fun of his and his friend's own life situations without coming out with any overtly mean comments. He knew how to be cleverly insulting. He was a Wesley replacement at first and morphed into a Clegg replacement.

He was alright, not perhaps the greatest or strongest incidental character in the history of the show, but a decent replacement for Wesley. Never, ever good enough to be part of the mian 3, but that wasn't his fault. A good support character, same as Alvin, Wally, Wesley etc.
Overall he did his job well, but shouldn't have been written into a main part, but I think was needs must rather than by design.

Thank you loswsla1 for bringing this topic up to date. This is a thread I missed during the time of my power outage. In reading all of the posts, I think Who is that then made great pointsabot entwistle's short, witty, positive lines. Chuffer makes a great point about Entwistle being a very good addition to Summer wine's supporting cast in the later years. I also think it is good to acknowledge what Chuffer mentioned about Enwistle being thrown into a main role due to circumstance.

I think he added a good bit to the show. I enjoyed his far east-Hull comments and his reliable, slick smile. The invisible dog scene was great. Hopefully someone can remind me of my other favorite Entwistle moment. The time the cops thought it was a dead body in Enwistle's truck and others thought he was some sort of mobster. Only to have him smile and wave them. I think Burt Kwouk played that role great.

Then, it all went down hill for Entwistle in the Hobbo years. I inquired about that in this forum before. Everyone tends to think the character was not strong enough to support a main role. I just don't know about that. I mean it was an incredible decline in quality of the character. To me, Entwistle was just reduced to making silly facial expressions. Was it all in misaligned characters in the scripts, or did Kwouk's abilities decline with age?

Didn't we see a bit of Entwistles yard once? He was loading his van. I think Smiler was in the scene. There was a white sign with his name on over a doorway, I think.

I think they could of made more use out of Entwistle with his skills in things going bang or shorting out,he sold washing machines but I do not think we ever had an episode with him installing one,which could of gone really wrong and imagine if it had been in Nora's or Pearls house

I think they could of made more use out of Entwistle with his skills in things going bang or shorting out,he sold washing machines but I do not think we ever had an episode with him installing one,which could of gone really wrong and imagine if it had been in Nora's or Pearls house

Good point, Terry. The decline in his character during the last couple of years was so drastic. It seems that there is more to it than simply not strong enough for a lead role. A lot of story lines could have been done around him.

Back