Ealing Comedies..............

I am a big fan cannot wait for the series to start , I hate when they advertise it as "Coming Soon" why they cannot just give us dates in the trailers is beyond me because it allows people to plan their viewing . So many favourites perhaps the Titfield Thunderbolt or the Lavender Hill Mob have some on DVD intend buying more .

I know exactly how you feel................ Coming soon............ When? I was thinking earlier 'what if I miss the start date? Why can't they give a start date? I did have the full collection on video tape............ How out of date is that? I bought a Blueray but have never used it............... Not sure if I can use standard DVDs on it or need to get Blueray versions. Hardly ever watch 'new' films so to date I haven't bought a single Blueray although I've had it over 3 years ............. In fact I've never switched it on!

Gold TV, what's that? Should I get it on Freeview? If not then I'm going to miss out. :(

Not sure if I can use standard DVDs on it
Maggie,

Pretty sure all Blue Ray players are retrospective in terms of DVD and will play the normal DVD's as well as Blue Ray. Accompanying booklet will undoubtedly tell you whether or not you can play DVD's I would be surprised if your player didn't . There are a plethora of manuals online I imagine your model's manual would be online if you cannot find the paper copy .

Maggie,
Pretty sure all Blue Ray players are retrospective in terms of DVD and will play the normal DVD's as well as Blue Ray. .

BTW - still looking for a region-free DVD player that will do PAL and NTSC
and will play AVI, MP4 and MKV files from disk and flash. chuck

Yes - also recall Man in a White Suit as well as all the others already mentioned .....

Passport to Pimlico and Whisky Galore

Hello all. Thanks for all your comments about you Ealing comedy favourite .......... we'll be spoiled for choice! To answer the question about Gold TV I know it's available on Sky and I believe Virgin as well. But as far as I know it's not available on Freeview.

Thanks Cap'n for the advice about the Blue Ray. I think I've lost the manual so will have to go online for instructions.

At last UKTV have published further details on their site. It is to be a three part documentary and the first part airs Sunday 18th September on Gold at 7pm . To compliment they are to show classic Ealing comedies with 4 [ Who done it, Davy, A Run for your Money and Passport to Pimlico ] to be shown on the 18th September as well . The following Sunday 25th 3 more will air [ The Magnet, Meet Mr Lucifer and Kind Hearts and Coronets] alongside the 2nd part of the documentary . I can only asume that the third part will be the following Sunday 1st October hopefully there will be some more of the films aired.

I suppose Gold have to put something on to interest folk, now that all of LOSW is available on DVD

Hello all. Thanks for all your comments about you Ealing comedy favourite .......... we'll be spoiled for choice! To answer the question about Gold TV I know it's available on Sky and I believe Virgin as well. But as far as I know it's not available on Freeview.
I believe you are right, never been on Freeview.

Just a quick reminder that the Ealing Comedy documentary starts tomorrow on Gold at 7 pm . It is preceded by a few films starting at Noon, with Passport to Pimlico after the documentary and Who Done It , A Run for your Money and Davy before it . All are preceded by Barbara Windsor and Ronnie Fraser in Crooks in Cloisters.

Yes what a fabulous day of viewing! I'll have to record some or I'll never move from the box! I hadn't ever seen Davy until a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it
It has a lot of pathos attached to it much as I felt about the great Steptoe & Son. Also it has the late Harry Secombe - a fellow countryman singing a very decent version of Nessum Dorma.

Back