Dr Who continuity

theatrically_inclined

Dedicated Member
Quite by accident this weekend, I found myself watching the first ever episode of Dr Who (An Unearthly Child, 23 November 1963) and the latest episode (The Devil's Chord, 11 May 2024). While on a rooftop in London the fifteenth Doctor points and tells his companion (Ruby Sunday) that he used to live over there at "76 Totter's Lane", with his granddaughter.
Tick! Correct! I knew that was correct, I had just seen it in the first episode.
Sixty years later a writer (Russell T Davies) researched - or just correctly remembered - an established fact from the show's history. So, you can have good continuity in a long-running tv series.
But in the case of Dr Who, there is sooooo much information available that is written for and by "Whovians" (yes, really ...) that every little detail is recorded somewhere.
Don't worry, Dr Who is not perfect - the story writers now cannot even agree if the First doctors' granddaughter is the titular 'Unearthly Child' of the first episode, or if it is the Doctor himself, as exposed in the March 2020 episode "The Timeless Children" written by Chris Chibnall!

[N.B.: I'm not a Dr Who fan, it was just a case of circumstances dictating my TV viewing!]

Roy was not an avid continuity follower over the many years of Summer Wine fun we enjoyed. That being said, his characters followed recognisable trait paths from their inception to their final appearances. The obvious example of course being Clegg who had been involved from a pilot featuring a funeral to a finale featuring a wedding. He has a strong sense of anti-establishment leaning in his bicycle hitching which gets more world weary as time goes on. Whilst still being the type who revels in his own solitude of ironing and household mundanity his eyes are opened as time goes on to an ever increasing community of barmpots that cross his path and he sees the world for the madness it can be. All weaknesses be they of the flesh, those of gambling and avarice or just the need to lead without being followed are fair game for his critical but ultimately fair handed gaze. He copes with the terrors of the war by having the occasional bout of childishness but most lets those more foolhardy venture there. Romance is something he never seeks and it was more than likely thrust upon him earlier. His reluctance to drive reflects astutely his reluctance to command other destiny but is more than happy to go along for the ride.

... The obvious example of course being Clegg who had been involved from a pilot featuring a funeral to a finale featuring a wedding. He has a strong sense of anti-establishment leaning in his bicycle hitching which gets more world weary as time goes on. Whilst still being the type who revels in his own solitude of ironing and household mundanity his eyes are opened as time goes on to an ever increasing community of barmpots that cross his path and he sees the world for the madness ...
While some Summer Wine characters did not have a long tenure like Clegg, he was certainly noticeably consistent - while naturally maturing as we all do with advancing age!

I've always loved Dr Who, until the PC crowd attacked... they just cant leave things alone can then... :(
Nearly all from Jon Pertwee to Dave Tannent... just great. few lemons in there that just didnt fit...

And some of the offsiders were ... very pretty :)

Quite by accident this weekend, I found myself watching the first ever episode of Dr Who (An Unearthly Child, 23 November 1963) and the latest episode (The Devil's Chord, 11 May 2024). While on a rooftop in London the fifteenth Doctor points and tells his companion (Ruby Sunday) that he used to live over there at "76 Totter's Lane", with his granddaughter.
Tick! Correct! I knew that was correct, I had just seen it in the first episode.
Sixty years later a writer (Russell T Davies) researched - or just correctly remembered - an established fact from the show's history. So, you can have good continuity in a long-running tv series.
But in the case of Dr Who, there is sooooo much information available that is written for and by "Whovians" (yes, really ...) that every little detail is recorded somewhere.
Don't worry, Dr Who is not perfect - the story writers now cannot even agree if the First doctors' granddaughter is the titular 'Unearthly Child' of the first episode, or if it is the Doctor himself, as exposed in the March 2020 episode "The Timeless Children" written by Chris Chibnall!

[N.B.: I'm not a Dr Who fan, it was just a case of circumstances dictating my TV viewing!]
Russell T. Davies is an ardent Dr. Who super fan so it would have been baffling if he'd not remembered. I stopped watching after Tom Baker.

Back