Doctor Who 50th anniversary today

D

DJWCFC

As it says in the title of this thread today it's 50 years since the first episode of another long running BBC show was shown and that show is Doctor Who, now with me being a fan of this also (don't worry summer wine is still way out in front as my favourite TV show) I just want to say it's great the 50th anniversary is finally here and look forward to the special tonight which I will be glued to the tele watching it, yesterday I was at a convention for the show in London and had a great time (which is why I haven't been on here since Thursday morning cause that's when I left for London) so have celebrated that show in my own way like I celebrated the 40th anniversary of the show back in January in my own way, I hope there is many more years to come for Doctor Who, for me it's maybe only 1 of 4 or 5 new things I will watch on tele nowadays

I was watching! Very good, although now I am confused if we have to change the numbers of all the doctors since Christopher Eccleston. Still love LOSTW more, but am a WHOVIAN too! :D

I was watching! Very good, although now I am confused if we have to change the numbers of all the doctors since Christopher Eccleston. Still love LOSTW more, but am a WHOVIAN too! :D

You mean because of putting John Hurt it in for no good reason?

I thought Hurt was quite good, although I was hoping that he might be more sinister and have more of a dark side, like the Master.

Mind you, Paul McGann stole the show in the mini episode. He really looked the part. The next regeneration could have been back to a slightly older version of his former self. That's the way you bring McGann back.

Just one thing. Are the Zygons still stuck in that basement, they seem to be absent for the final 20 minutes or so of the episode, did someone forget about that part of the story? Very odd.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

"Moffat says he spoke with Eccleston about appearing but the actor "didn't feel that he could come back to it."

Shades of Brian Wilde there with that response.

Being American, the Tom Baker years were my first introduction to the show, I was tickled pink that he got that little cameo in the end. If he would have taken a second to offer Matt Smith a Jelly Baby, that would have been even more icing on the cake.

I thought the nerdy scientist wearing the scarf similar to the 4th Doctor's was pretty cool too.

scarf.jpg

I don't normally watch science fiction although the original Star Trek was an exception but I might try watching Dr. Who.

As a child I was brought up on the early Doctors, my favorites being Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker and John Pertwee. A little like LOTSW when things changed it sometimes took a while to get use to the new Doctor. I remember the one off with Paul McGann and didn't think much of him at the time. He was a move towards a new younger type of Doctor, in that sense he was ahead of his time I suppose. However, having seen McGann in the mini episode, he looked the part and his performance seems to have put the cat amongst the pigeons with hopes of a parallel series. That now appears to be dashed by writer Stephen Moffat.

If you haven't seen the mini episode it can be found here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/d...who-return-unlikely-one-doctor-at-a-time.html

I do wonder though, and this is one for the Whovians, would there be any reason why a regeneration couldn't produce a Doctor that was a copy of one that went before? I'm sure a story could be made of that, around his original death and being saved by the sisterhood resulting in the warrior Doctor, to explain his second regeneration later. Could McGann be the next Doctor after Capaldi?

We watched The Day of the Doctor last night and I still
do not know who is John Hurt. Was he a doctor somewhere
in the past? We enjoyed the show and loved the pix of
the older doctors. Just no idea who is Hurt??? Why should
we know him? Looking at IMDB shows a total of 3 Whos,
but the Day of the Doctor is the only one I've seen.

We watched The Day of the Doctor last night and I still
do not know who is John Hurt. Was he a doctor somewhere
in the past? We enjoyed the show and loved the pix of
the older doctors. Just no idea who is Hurt??? Why should
we know him? Looking at IMDB shows a total of 3 Whos,
but the Day of the Doctor is the only one I've seen.

Did I read you right, you don't know who John Hurt is?! A serious quality actor who played the Elephant Man, Quentin Crisp in the Naked Civil Servant, Winston Smith in 1984, and was in the original Alien film (the alien popped out of his stomach to start it all off), to name just a few things. Or do you mean Hurt as a past Doctor? He was never a Doctor in the past, never had a series or even episode like McGann, but added at the end of the last series as the War/warrior Doctor for the purpose of this episode. He's widely considered by many to be one of England's finest actors of the last 30 years or so though.

Did I read you right, you don't know who John Hurt is?!

Yup. Sorry bout that, tho.

Don't like much of whats available currently. We watch a lot of
Heartbeat, The Royal, MASH, Born and Bred, West Wing,
and (lately) Vicious and The Paradise.

Oh yes, and a LOTSW every night before bed, with our Single Malt.

Apologies offered.

Did I read you right, you don't know who John Hurt is?!

Yup. Sorry bout that, tho.

Don't like much of whats available currently. We watch a lot of
Heartbeat, The Royal, MASH, Born and Bred, West Wing,
and (lately) Vicious and The Paradise.

Oh yes, and a LOTSW every night before bed, with our Single Malt.

Apologies offered.

No apologies necessary, I was just surprised and wondered if I had read you right. Hurt is slightly below the best known names I suppose, although in the film 1984 his billing was ahead of Richard Burton.

Quite impressive viewing figures.

"The 50th anniversary Doctor Who special has set a new iPlayer record for getting the most requests in 24 hours, 1.27m - beating the Olympic opening ceremony's previous high.

New consolidated figures show 12.8m people saw The Day of the Doctor on BBC One, including 2.9m iPlayer requests, making it 2013's most-watched drama."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25203441

Back