Discussing modern life

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I was surprised to hear Cleggy reference The Spice Girls in an episode, which seemed peculiar as LOTSW seems to be in it's own time bubble. Most references to the wider world seem to be from the past, the war, Errol Flynn, Maurice Chevalier etc.

Is there any other references to modern culture, I cannot recall the internet even being mentioned in any episodes?

I was surprised to hear Cleggy reference The Spice Girls in an episode, which seemed peculiar as LOTSW seems to be in it's own time bubble. Most references to the wider world seem to be from the past, the war, Errol Flynn, Maurice Chevalier etc.

Is there any other references to modern culture, I cannot recall the internet even being mentioned in any episodes?
I recall Howard talking to Marina about getting internet and using email, I cannot recall the episode though

Blamire mentioned that Spinal Tap must have been inspired by Ivy's abrasive tone when she was abusing Sid. (Except that the timing isn't right. The Blamire seasons were aired in '73 and '75. Although the fictional band existed from the mid-60s, the actual band first performed in 1979.)

Blamire mentioned that Spinal Tap must have been inspired by Ivy's abrasive tone when she was abusing Sid. (Except that the timing isn't right. The Blamire seasons were aired in '73 and '75. Although the fictional band existed from the mid-60s, the actual band first performed in 1979.)
Yes, but he's not talking about the band though, is he??

I think they also have mobile phones in some later episodes.

I think it possibly would when the patient screams in pain!
The local anesthetic injection would take effect to quickly that there's just about enough time before the anesthetic takes effect to say "ouch" when the needle is inserted. Based on others' experience, from then on there's only pressure, no reason for screaming.

Someone a little more senior in years than me may have to confirm this, but in a Christmas episode Compo is wearing a digital watch which is set in the late Seventies, I'm guessing they were quite a modern gadget then?

Back