Disabled Accommodation

Cloggy

Dedicated Member
My wife and i are both disabled, with limited mobility using elbow crutches and small mobility scooters, for getting around.

We are planning to visit Holmfirth for 3 days in the next few weeks.

Can anyone suggest any suitable Hotel, B&B etc, in the Holmfirth area ?

Thank You

Cloggy.

The Problem with Holmfirth a mobility almost everywhere is up or downhill, Sunnybank guest house is very nice and I think they had a room on the ground floor, I know Coddy's farm which is a 4 mile drive outside the town, has a large ground floor room just inside the entrance,again very nice accommodation, hope this helps,Terry

Hope you both have a great time there, Cloggy. Please share some pictures of your visit if you can. I've not been there yet so it is nice to see what of the scenery, even if from a distance.:)

Thanks for your kind replies, i have looked on youtube around Holmfirth and as you say,
the streets are 'uphill and down dale'.

We would be happy just to see 'Sid's Cafe', 'Nora and Compo's house' and
Bill Owen and Peter Sallis grave site.

It will be a 'one-off' trip, due to our disabilities, just to see Holmfirth,
before we get any older, we are both in our late 60's.

If we do get to Holmfirth, would you recommend the Tour Bus ?

Thank You

Cloggy

Cloggy ,

I do hope it works out for you , Sid's Cafe and Nora's are the most accessible of the attractions although Nora's does have the steps up but you can certainly take photo's from street level . I would not hesitate in recommending the bus tour for content it is excellent . The bus is rather compact it may be worth contacting them in advance, the number is 01484 687231 , the photograph shows that they provide a portable step to help with access.

tour bus 2.jpg

The Huddersfield Road entrance to the Wrinkled Stocking Tea Room is at street level, and quite a lot of their seating is on the same level. Unfortunately, the loo is up a narrow, curving flight of stairs that I thought seemed hazardous, and I have no mobility problems.

Cloggy, I have no hesitation in recommending the tour bus BUT it is small, cramped and very bumpy. On the trip I took there was one dear old lady on crutches and she seemed to do it all without much difficulty. I would try however to get Colin (the driver) to "go" without a full load on board just to give a little more room to swing your crutches etc. When I went it was about 1/2 full and there were no problems for the older than me (low 60's) brigade.:cool:

I was surprised myself how mountainous is the terrain around Holmfirth. I knew it was hilly but I wasn't really prepared for exactly HOW hilly it is around there....basically nothing is on level ground. Getting to Sid's café and from there to Nora/Compo's place and back shouldn't be too much of a problem but anywhere else............??? Also if you do go there I would use the most direct route up Hollowgate rather than walking past the shops and going up Huddersfield Rd as the pedestrian access alongside the road is VERY narrow on the latter and it is a busy road.

For visiting Compo & Cleggy's gravesite and church, be aware that the road to it is VERY narrow and steep and inside the yard itself, depending on where you enter there is quite a slope and possibly some steps.

My advice would be...try and get kidnapped like I did!!!
(That's called running over Terry with a bus and then backing up to make sure you got him!:37::01::))

Hope you have a great time...I certainly did.:18:

Have a great time, there are places you may find hard to get to like Daisy Lane bookshop might be a stretch but you'll love the atmosphere. Please do share any pictures you take and yes highly recommend the bus tour.

We have booked 2 nights (13th & 14th August)
at Sunnybank Guesthouse, 78 Upperthong Lane, Holmfirth HD9 3BQ ,

It has ground floor rooms and off road parking.

I'll let you know how we go on with our visit to Holmfirth.

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Cloggy

We have booked 2 nights (13th & 14th August)
at Sunnybank Guesthouse, 78 Upperthong Lane, Holmfirth HD9 3BQ ,

It has ground floor rooms and off road parking.

I'll let you know how we go on with our visit to Holmfirth.

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Cloggy

Well you will then be next door to the cemetery where Bill & Peter are, enjoy your stay there I always do

Back