Different length of episodes on DVD's

D

DAJ36

Hello,
As anyone one else notice that most episodes are never actually the same length, the common perception would be that the programme would have run for 30 whole minutes on original broadcast due to ther being no adverts.

I wonder if in truth some episodes where actually filmed longer or shorter than each other or are the difference in times on the DVD release due to edits.

Cheers

Dave

Hello,
As anyone one else notice that most episodes are never actually the same length, the common perception would be that the programme would have run for 30 whole minutes on original broadcast due to ther being no adverts.

I wonder if in truth some episodes where actually filmed longer or shorter than each other or are the difference in times on the DVD release due to edits.

Cheers

Dave

I can see why the original broadcast may differ in time,I suppose we are lucky that unlike these days, we did not get to many end credit voice overs (Except for UK gold) and we do not get the next week promo often found at the end of many shows these days, I did notice the shows on commercial channels are getting shorter,due to longer advert breaks,there is over 30 mins in each two hour broadcast and that is during the show screening. Why they should edit the show even more for DVD I do not know,a true fan will spot this and I have heard of this happening many times on DVD release, whether it is so they can cram it onto less DVD's,Terry

I have noticed on some DVDs they refer to edits being made "for contractual reasons" - yet looking at running times would often seem to be a minute or so at most. When I recorded onto tape i seem to noice that most programems were about 28 minutes possibly 28' 30" max. I do recall redign that roy clarke occasionally had to insert a short scene to make time up.

I have read elsewhere about another BBC programme running at different times, someone had seen the original broadcast schedules and that the programme run at various times between 49 minutes to 55 minutes even though it was supposed to fill an hour slot.

The programme in question in this case was Bergerac.

Back