did the knowledge that stunt doubles were used mar people's enjoyment of LOTSW

One good thing about LOTSW is that they never used another actor to play the same character - not even a minor character.

Even when Mike Grady left the show, he wasn't replaced, was mentioned frequently, and thankfully returned some 6 years later.

One good thing about LOTSW is that they never used another actor to play the same character - not even a minor character.

Even when Mike Grady left the show, he wasn't replaced, was mentioned frequently, and thankfully returned some 6 years later.
howbout the other Foggy in There Goes The Groom,I will dismiss Sid in Getting Sam Home as it was still John in body,if not in voice :(

howbout the other Foggy in There Goes The Groom,I will dismiss Sid in Getting Sam Home as it was still John in body,if not in voice :(

You're right of course - but that's different.

There was no speaking, no good look at his face. It was simply another method to go from one old character to a new character.

Some sitcoms are cringeworthy where a new actor has replaced another to play the same character.

Notable examples are I Didn't Know You Cared and Citizen Smith.

The one that always stood out to me, was Edie Pegdens double, she was good but occasionally it was pretty obvious, a necessary evil as some have already stated.

G ; )

The one that always stood out to me, was Edie Pegdens double, she was good but occasionally it was pretty obvious, a necessary evil as some have already stated.

G ; )

only saw it once in the car but looking back at her final series its obviously a double in outdoor scenes

G ; )

only saw it once in the car but looking back at her final series its obviously a double in outdoor scenes

The summerwine magic tour dvd shows the doubles for Edie and Ivy in the background having a cup of tea in a break during filming.

G ; )

Well Thora could not drive,so anything with a scene driving along the road was a double

G ; )

Well Thora could not drive,so anything with a scene driving along the road was a double

but only with medium and long shots, obviously the close up scenes they were on a sort of trolley thing (i assume)

In the flag and its snag when the trio are trying to catch the donkey you can see the doubles quite clearly but it does not spoil the enjoyment of the show. :)

I'm also one of those who didn't notice there were double until recently when I actually keep an eye out to spot them. When I watch the show just to enjoy, I don't think about doubles, to me, I'm in the moment of the show and that means it's the charcters doing all their antics, not actors or stunt people. When Compo falls off the fence, I believe it's really him. When they slide down a hill, I believe they're really sliding. I still like to think that most of the time it really was them.

Well said
Ditto for me. I enjoy the show and don't look for mistakes/errors or doubles. I like to think that they are perfect just they way they are. After all it is the perfect world - for some of us ;D

As I read these posts, I am very glad the use of double doesn't bother anyone because it really isn't logical to think actors in their 60s, 70s, and 80s are going to be racing down hills, falling in water, off walls, etc.
I am also glad the sometimes flawed production of the double don't bother anybody. I also get caught in the moment. Probably the most unrealistic skit I every saw was in the later years and I believe Truly and Cleg (or Billy) teamed up to toss Howard back into his bedroom window. It was quite silly but I just kept enjoying the show.

The only doubles I really noticed for the first time was for the end of the episode where they were trying to figure out Nora's feet size, and the easily noticeable doubles fall off the railing or whatever it was into the water. Seriously, I swear some sort of china man was in the place of Clegg.

Just wondering, when did the outdoor scenes star to need doubles, walking wise? As at least in the Foggy era', all walking scenes, front and back, except stunts, were the real trio.

I also remember a series 3 or 4 episode where compo is walking on a high brick wall after the intro and it's actually him as well.

Well in real loife Compo was also a dancer/entertainer. He was very agile and did most of his stunts until age stepped in...

I think Michael Aldridge suggested they use doubles for walking scenes from afar as nobody would notice (he thought), so it must have started in the mid-80´s.

I also just enjoy the shows and don't worry too much if a stunt double was used until the credits roll and then I try to see if a stunt coordinator was listed in the credits.

Back