did the knowledge that stunt doubles were used mar people's enjoyment of LOTSW

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
For me,it was a necessary evil I suppose,I mean the trio were old,so...f course if the show had continued in the vein of the first two series,stunt doubles wouldnt have been needed,but would itt have lasted 31 series

I can see the necessity of course, but still it always made me a bit sad to see the doubles, especially when you could really tell it wasn´t the trio.

I didn't always know it was the doubles. But you know, I can see why they were needed. It kept our real heros safe. I read that Mr Sallis fell during the filming once. That made me feel rotten, to think he'd taken a tumble out there. Imagine how shaken up he must have been? The report said he was okay after it, but hell, put the doubles in.

I never thought about it. The actors where not really young, even when it started so you expected it. I am not a person who is that observant when it comes to things like this so perhaps I am luckier than most.

I didn't always know it was the doubles. But you know, I can see why they were needed. It kept our real heros safe. I read that Mr Sallis fell during the filming once. That made me feel rotten, to think he'd taken a tumble out there. Imagine how shaken up he must have been? The report said he was okay after it, but hell, put the doubles in.
that was towards the end when Peter fell,one of the reasons why he and Frank were moved inside

For me,it was a necessary evil I suppose,I mean the trio were old,so...f course if the show had continued in the vein of the first two series,stunt doubles wouldnt have been needed,but would itt have lasted 31 series

But it was in "Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe" that Peter Sallis for one almost drowned.

tbh no the doubles didnt bring the enjoyment down, i cud tell it was doubles but because of hearing there voices i still thought it was the trio, i just accepted that they were getting old and cudnt do every scene, altho i was miffed at some scenes which were just simple walking scenes

It would never ruin the show for me. First of all, I never pay too close attention to see if a double is being used. If it is a moment, such as someone flying through the air, I just enjoy the silly scene and not try to look too close to facial details.

Second, lets be realistic. At times, these characters were in their 70s and 80s. Thankfully, these wonderful actors such as Peter Sallis, Frank Thornton, Bill Owen, etc. chose to perform and give us so much joy instead of relaxing in a retired state. To assume they should fly down hills in various vehicles, fall off gates and fences, etc. would be crazy!

I'd seen the doubles and its never bothered me .I've still enjoyed almost every episode(some weren't as good as others)but what the heck it was and still is fun!! ;)

The only time the use of stunt doubles has annoyed me was in The Flag and it's Snag with the mules.

Very unconvincing in my opinion, not helped by bad continuity where 'Clegg' loses his cap then in the next frame is wearing it.

Otherwise I can live with the use of stunt doubles - something of a necessity,

Dont think it really mattered they were a necesity and thats it ,thought that Foggy,s double had a bad hair style but thats all.

What about Auntie Wainwrights double when she was on the bicycle???

That was funny and very unbelievable..

Dont think it really mattered they were a necesity and thats it ,thought that Foggy,s double had a bad hair style but thats all.

sorry chris i gotta disagree with u on that 1, look at the back of brians hair in "Getting Sam Home" when nora is hitting them with her yard brush, if u look at the back of his hair then it looks exactly like the doubles even tho it is brian in the scene, so i wudnt say his double had a bad hair style at all

That´s funny, I also always look at the hair of Foggy´s double, it´s a giveaway, there is too much of it showing under the cap, so perhaps it´s the cap and not the haircut. I don´t know. And of course the double is sturdier than Brian Wilde, but then again, people with his build are not very numerous, my first boyfriend was like that.
About Peter´s fall, as far as I know it was a hole in the ground somewhere on the hills, probably covered by grass, perhaps "fall" was said too much and he just put his foot in the hole without actually falling, but I don´t know. I´m always worried about accidents like that, I held him back by the arm more than once when tripping a bit over a crack on the pavement or something like that. Eyesight problems, unsteady walking and probably weaker bones make a bad combination.

I'm also one of those who didn't notice there were double until recently when I actually keep an eye out to spot them. When I watch the show just to enjoy, I don't think about doubles, to me, I'm in the moment of the show and that means it's the charcters doing all their antics, not actors or stunt people. When Compo falls off the fence, I believe it's really him. When they slide down a hill, I believe they're really sliding. I still like to think that most of the time it really was them.

I'm also one of those who didn't notice there were double until recently when I actually keep an eye out to spot them. When I watch the show just to enjoy, I don't think about doubles, to me, I'm in the moment of the show and that means it's the charcters doing all their antics, not actors or stunt people. When Compo falls off the fence, I believe it's really him. When they slide down a hill, I believe they're really sliding. I still like to think that most of the time it really was them.

Well said

Although it was very obvious at times that doubles were being used it never spoiled my enjoyment of the episode.

The hair or wig used by Foggys double never looked quite right as it was much too thick at the back.

Hector

Stunt doubles don't bother me at all. But what does bother me is when an Actor/Actress quits the show or dies etc and gets replaced by someone new. My feelings are that the character should be killed off or sent away. It is hard to get use to someone new playing the same character.

Back