Did I miss something

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In the episode "Come in Sunray Major" at the beginning the trio chat to Howard,then go to Cleggy's and have a Cuppa,Cleggy pours Compo the tea into his saucer, then Foggy starts by saying " I could never understand why people won't accept advice from a natural leader"

Now I cannot see where this fits in with the story so far,as if something happened before this and it has been edited out, I believe this is happened before,anyone still owning the Video version might be able to spot if something has been cut

I did a quick re-watch of the opening sequence this morning on an old dvd that George copied for me. All I can think of was that Foggy tried the old "missed a bit " sarcasm , Howard was not pleased and then Pearl squished them all from upstairs:46:

In the episode "Come in Sunray Major" at the beginning the trio chat to Howard,then go to Cleggy's and have a Cuppa,Cleggy pours Compo the tea into his saucer, then Foggy starts by saying " I could never understand why people won't accept advice from a natural leader"

Now I cannot see where this fits in with the story so far,as if something happened before this and it has been edited out, I believe this is happened before,anyone still owning the Video version might be able to spot if something has been cut

Yes it is a bit odd.

Outside, when Foggy is re-united with Howard and Pearl, he's fairly confident.

In the house he seems a little shaken.

Most odd.

Presumably something was edited somewhere along the line.

I do wish I could think of other instances, but it strikes me that this is a Foggy characteristic, the sudden contribution of a total no sequitur. It is somewhat typical of some I know. They suddenly realise that contrary to where they think they belong, at the centre of attention, they are being ignored. So they seek to bring the conversation back to themselves.

My 2p worth, when Foggy says hello to Howard we starts off by saying " You've missed a bit" and points to the window. Howard then says " Oh is he back?" Instead of saying " Oh welcome back, nice to see you"

I do wish I could think of other instances, but it strikes me that this is a Foggy characteristic, the sudden contribution of a total no sequitur. It is somewhat typical of some I know. They suddenly realise that contrary to where they think they belong, at the centre of attention, they are being ignored. So they seek to bring the conversation back to themselves.

attachment.php

Is this what you imply

Attachments

• itsme.jpg
    itsme.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 18
It is quite an interesting scene with Foggy and Howard.

I would say, from Foggy's point of view, the 'missed a bit' comment was a jovial way of introducing himself again after five years.

I have to say the response from Howard is surprising to say the least - though still funny.

It's quite remarkable Roy Clarke wrote this scene. Only a very few episodes have this kind of continuity, this following on from Foggy's 'Return' episode. In 'television' terms, it would seem obvious to have Howard and Foggy reunited in the first episode, where Foggy is reunited with all the rest of the cast.

Perhaps Episode One was over-running, and the scene seemed too valuable to waste, and was hastily bunged into Episode Two.

I suppose it's a possibility the scene was intended for Return of the Warrior, and perhaps a different scene, perhaps with Foggy and a stranger, was intended to be in 'Sunray Major', where Foggy perhaps tries a bit of leadership.

Just a theory.

Original scripts would be helpful here.

Never noticed the slight continuity issue here before - not sure if there is a definite plot problem here, though it's all very interesting.

No, forget that theory above.

If that outdoor scene with Foggy and Howard WAS from Episode One it would have Foggy surrounded by luggage.

It IS worth noting that Pearl knew Foggy was back in Episode One, and Howard only finds out in Episode Two, but that's no real problem.

To the original question, I can only assume Foggy was serious about Howard missing a bit, and that he was a bit miffed by Howard's (perhaps unreasonable?) response.

When Foggy first came back, following the departure of Blamire, he used to go into silent trance like periods - perhaps this was still happening after all these years?

Just an idea .....

Back