Did Foggy Hate Compo?

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
I've been watching the Blamire years, and been really enjoying it, but I noticed something.

With Blamire, although He'll go on and complain about Compo, it feels as though they have a mutual respect for each other and don't hate each other. They share their smokes (Yes, in the early years Compo ocasionally had his own!) and They just seem like good strong "friends" who just like to banter a lot.

Wheras when watching the Foggy years, although he's a great character, I feel that Foggy actually hates compo, and is more or less keeping him around for something to do, or to use him as a "test rat". I don't really feel as though there's a "friendship" of them two.

Just my thoughts at the moment. I'll be on to Series 3 soon so my opinion might change a bit with a refreshed memory.

I don't feel it was "hate" just a much different view on things. There are points where the two of them are closer such as in The Black Widow where the two of them are thrown together for a similar cause. I feel it's as much Foggy wishing to retain his higher status day dream than actual dislike. That's my view anyway.

Foggy.s charachter was an awkward one ,he came from an extremely ordered world and then finding himself having to be around Compo he felt very badly let down.In real life Brian Wilde seems to have been an awkward person to deal with .Bill Owen was very left wing and proud of it and Brian probably right wing with Sallis in the middle ,but all three played their parts well and responded to the brilliant writing.

Bill Owen was very left wing and proud of it and Brian probably right wing with Sallis in the middle.

I would of though Owen would be a right wing/conservative type (similar to myself). I'm not sure of Brian's political association but i know that Micheal Bates was Right wing and it's been documented than Owen and Bates had a major argument.

I would of though Owen would be a right wing/conservative type (similar to myself).

I presume here you mean Wilde, not Owen. Unlike the Bates/Owen relationship I would have thought the Wilde/Owen clashes were more on artistic grounds rather than political. And if Wilde had difficulties with any one it would have been Alan JW Bell, particularly in the early days.

I think in the early years he didnt exactly warm to Compo as they were two complete opposites.I tend to think that he valued, very much, the friendship of Cleggy and as Cleggy had a real soft spot for Compo,they sort of came as a pair,so to speak.The friendship towards Compo warmed as the years rolled by and i believe he came to accept and tolerate Compo for who he was.
Compo could be very niave at times and Foggy certainly exploited this from time to time which in turn,gave us the viewer a good laugh.

I think the Blamire/Compo years were very similar as Blamire believed there was a huge social chasm between them and it was Clegg who was the lynch pin.Things then grew into a mutual respect,with much good natured banter,etc.

Hector.

As I have gathered, in real life, Peter Sallis was the calming influence on the other two.

I think in the early years he didnt exactly warm to Compo as they were two complete opposites.I tend to think that he valued, very much, the friendship of Cleggy and as Cleggy had a real soft spot for Compo,they sort of came as a pair,so to speak.The friendship towards Compo warmed as the years rolled by and i believe he came to accept and tolerate Compo for who he was.
Compo could be very niave at times and Foggy certainly exploited this from time to time which in turn,gave us the viewer a good laugh.

I think the Blamire/Compo years were very similar as Blamire believed there was a huge social chasm between them and it was Clegg who was the lynch pin.Things then grew into a mutual respect,with much good natured banter,etc.

Hector.

The whole premise is that normally Blamire or Foggy would never be seen with Compo or his type: only the existence of Clegg brings them together. However when Compo goes missing Blamire refers to the 'grimy little erbert' and initiates the search for him.

Seymour would always see Compo as a useful test pilot and thus less worried about him although he does tell him to walk behind him because of the possible social consequences in one episode.

Compo would always be the opposite to the authoritarian third man: and once you lost Compo you lost that love-hate component reflecting class differences, and without a Clegg to keep together the opposing factions the original premise falters somewhat.

However if Hobbo had been allowed a thrid series we could well have found that the programme was getting back on track. But it would not have the same chemistry and poles apart individuals seen at the start.

However if Hobbo had been allowed a thrid series we could well have found that the programme was getting back on track. But it would not have the same chemistry and poles apart individuals seen at the start.

i agree with you there barmpot, a third series from Hobbo could have shown the show getting back on track, i always think of Hobbo and the 6th doctor from doctor who in very similar position, lead characters in a show the bbc didnt like and was fighting a losing battle and both werent given enough time for there characters to develop

Back