Did anyone else feel sorry for Marina?

Me too. Compo was disparaging towards her and it seemed all she wanted was to be with Howard.

Me too. Compo was disparaging towards her and it seemed all she wanted was to be with Howard.

Substitute the word 'Howard' with the word 'anybody' I think mate! She just wanted to be loved and wriggle around in the long grass a bit!

Just removed my last post myself ,didn't feel right about it. Even though I was trying to be humerous! :-[

I felt sorry for Marina very often, how lonely can you be if you are willing to put up with all that?

Decidedly Not. Marina is/was a fictional character in a
fictional television show, whose every move was choreographed
by the author. Twas all beautifully done and all, but Marina
and Howard are fictional characters and as such have no
freedom of will. In short, they do what they are told (written?)
to do. They exist ONLY as they are written.

Sorry to disagree Chuck,but for thirty minutes an episode those characters were real people who affected us with their words and actions and made us care for or dislike them whatever the case may be.

Sorry to disagree Chuck,but for thirty minutes an episode those characters were real people who affected us with their words and actions and made us care for or dislike them whatever the case may be.
0r 60 mins on some of the specials :)

I know real single couples like Marina and Howard. Why they put up with this nonsense is beyond me. Doesn't anyone know engaged couples who have been engaged forever.?? Or how about wives just like Pearl who put up with it and they are not fictional characters. It is sad but what Marina and Howard portray is real life. These people exist.. I don't know if love exists with Pearl and Howard. Pearl wants to have a good name in the village and Howard needs someone to cook his tea.....

I know real single couples like Marina and Howard. Why they put up with this nonsense is beyond me. Doesn't anyone know engaged couples who have been engaged forever.?? Or how about wives just like Pearl who put up with it and they are not fictional characters. It is sad but what Marina and Howard portray is real life. These people exist.. I don't know if love exists with Pearl and Howard. Pearl wants to have a good name in the village and Howard needs someone to cook his tea.....
[/quote]

Yes there are real people like this, i think Roy based all the characters from his own experience.

Thinking about it, I feel sorry for all three, Howard, Marina and also Pearl. Nobody is happy in the end and nobody gets what he or she wants. Howard and Pearl are just not suited for each other. Or they would need a therapy to get back together properly. But actually they should all go and look for someobdy else if this was reality, or perhaps Howard and Marina would make a better couple, but it´s possible they would soon get on each other´s nerves in anything like a real relationship, they have got their problems too...

I agree with George. Marina did try to improve she asked Glenda to help her dress a little more conservative and she offered to help Glenda dress a little more exciting during one episode.

She was a tart with a heart! OK, she was desperate, she had to be to put up with Howard and his games, but she was a nice person who was looking for some romance if she could get it, and failing that, she was looking for someone who could show her a better time than Howard could. Which wasn't difficult really!

I never really liked Pearl, she never let him go on his own, Marina is quite friendly and nice and I feel sorry for her not being able to kiss Howard for a reason in every episode. Pearl is certainly a lot less nice than Nora and Ivy, saying that they are a bunch of idiots. Pearl only really smiles when she has control of Howard, where as Nora smiles when Compo dresses smart or talks better, and Ivy sometimes has interests in what the trio are doing and they have normal conversations like they were friends. I certainly wouldn't have Married peal but Marina instead, then Howard wouldn't need to be so jumpy every-time he hears something when with Marina!

Back