Desert Island DVD's

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be interested to see what other comedies members like, to see if there are similarities. If you were sent to a desert island and allowed to take only 4 DVD sets to watch which would the 3 extra be. Of course the LOTSW full set would be taken as a given!

Remember it can only be 3 different comedies. Although really tricky to choose mine in order of preference would be;

Keeping Up Appearances
Dear Ladies
Dinnerladies

What would yours be?????

The bizarre combination of....

Fawlty Towers
Seinfeld
As Time Goes By

(I am pretty high on the first 5 seasons of the American Office, although As Time Goes By edges it out due to sentimental value)

I heartily applaud this question, which was harder than I expected it to be.

4. Waiting for God - The first British comedy I saw that delt with real issues at the same time as comedy. I was impressed.
3. Barney Miller - I was a child when I watched the original airings, it was very funny, but I also learned a lot about human nature and human qualities
2. One Foot in the Grave - We all have our Meldrew moments. Margret moments too.

British.
Yes Minister + Prime Minister
Open All Hours
As Time Goes By
American.
Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Young Sheldon
My wife and I are very much like a younger version of Jean and Lionel.

Modern Family has some great moments.

From Abroad then

Frasier
Rhoda
Cheers

[left out animated series otherwise Family Guy and the Simpsons would be there and sticking with kids shows The Munsters were a huge favourite when I was young]

Still Game.
Billy and Albert [Billy Connolly live at The Albert Hall.......his best EVER performance].
Rising Damp.....or Porridge.......or On The Buses.......the question is too difficult to answer Barry !!!!!!.
X!

Still Game.
Billy and Albert [Billy Connolly live at The Albert Hall.......his best EVER performance].
Rising Damp.....or Porridge.......or On The Buses.......the question is too difficult to answer Barry !!!!!!.
X!
Yes it is really.. I had to leave out Porridge, Ever Decreasing Circles, Good Life, On the Buses, George and Mildred, Two Doors Down, Friday Night Dinner, Count Arthur Strong, League of Gentlemen……:)

I agree the choices were difficult I agree but it's to get you thinking!!

The reason I'd take Dinnerladies, it's its such a rich seam of comedy that you see new jokes and nuances everytime you watch. This is what Victoria Wood said she wanted people to keep re-watching and discovering stuff they'd missed. Also it has the feel good factor, whereas KUA is just hilariously funny in it's physical humour as well as it's script.

Back